Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finishing up my stearing mods couple questions. Sector Brace and Tie Rod ???

Old 12-14-2014, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finishing up my stearing mods couple questions. Sector Brace and Tie Rod ???

So i have upgraded my stearing link to synergy, ball joints, akle to artec, running RK 2.5 flex. I was looking at finishing up my stearing upgrades. Running 35's on a heavy JKUR. Is the benefit for the sector shaft brace to protect the stearing box from strippping? Is this a good mod I would think so. I like mods that help me not be stranded on the trail. Is there any benefit to a aftermarket tie rod except the obious bending issue of hitting something head on. If not, then I will just hold off on that untill the time comes I hit something. I figure I could always bend it back to get back to where ever I am at. But if it improves handling and strengthens the stearing system then I will get it now. Only other thing I was considering was reid knuckles. Any input would be great. Looking for parts to work with RK lift and syndery drag link and Fox ATS.

Thank You Doug Lear
Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

I've heard many issues of the sector brace not fitting with aftermarket springs. I really want to do this brace and trackbar mount but have reservations about compatibility.

I've seen many instances of the shaft failing so yes, it is a good mod
Old 12-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
So i have upgraded my stearing link to synergy, ball joints, akle to artec, running RK 2.5 flex. I was looking at finishing up my stearing upgrades. Running 35's on a heavy JKUR. Is the benefit for the sector shaft brace to protect the stearing box from strippping? Is this a good mod I would think so. I like mods that help me not be stranded on the trail. Is there any benefit to a aftermarket tie rod except the obious bending issue of hitting something head on. If not, then I will just hold off on that untill the time comes I hit something. I figure I could always bend it back to get back to where ever I am at. But if it improves handling and strengthens the stearing system then I will get it now. Only other thing I was considering was reid knuckles. Any input would be great. Looking for parts to work with RK lift and syndery drag link and Fox ATS.

Thank You Doug Lear
Sea bass is right about some sector shaft braces not fitting well with thicker aftermarket coils. We've seen some contact with our coils and certain braces. As far as a tie rod goes you can definitely upgrade it at a later date and ours will work with the steering parts you have now. The Reid racing knuckles will make it so you have to clearance the meaty part of our tie rod joint but it can be done.

RK
Old 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

So here is what my franken front end has that would affect what your looking at. I have no clearance issues: I have a 2 door 2012 JK Rubi Auto.

Synergy HD tie rod, Synergy Drag link, Synergy weld on TB bracket, JKS Adj Front Track Bar, JKS Steering bracket and sector shaft brace, 2.5" lift RK front coils, Fox ATS SS, EVO adj sway bar end links, Reids.

HTH

Good luck with your build.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the jks sector shaft works with RK springs. Will it work with rock krawler front track bar? I would imagine the joints would be same size. Does track bar improve handling or is it more of an upgrade when u bend it part? Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that after I switched to my Synergy tie rod it stiffened the front end up. If you're sticker is bent slightly you can adjust the toe back out. My adjuster was seized so I upgraded.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, keep in mind that I have a 2 door, so a 2.5 RK coil lift nets me 3.5 inches of lift.

The RK Track bar may be an issue. I dont know. I only know that my combo works.

With only a 2.5 inch lift on a heavy JK, I dont think you need to change the TB unless your OCD and want the axle exactly centered. If you had 3 or more inches of lift, and had done a drag link flip, you would have had to put a TB brace on the axle end, which lifts the TB mount point higher on the axle end. At that point, you could stay with a stock TB.

Your not going to benefit much from Reids with how your set up. Main benefit is the tie rod is 1.5 inches higher up, but if your not doing a drag link flip, I wouldnt buy them. Even at higher lifts, you can use that money for other upgrades. I have the Reids, but thats because I have a PR44 UNL for my front axle. Even so, the stock knuckles work just fine.

So we come to the tie rod. I would run the stock one until you bent it. Then I would recommend buying a HD one such as a Synergy.

A good upgrade to have done is to reinforce your Cs. Not sure if thats what you were referring to here? ("akle to artec") Once you bend those, your in for an expensive fix, and if your running 35s on a heavy JKU, then this is bound to happen at some point if you wheel your Jeep hard.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited by silversurfer575; 12-17-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Finishing up my stearing mods couple questions. Sector Brace and Tie Rod ???