Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ever lift looking for opinions

Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ever lift looking for opinions

How is it going. So first jeep and first lift ever I'm buying in the near future. Been researching a little and have it narrowed Down to a few. My budget is around 1700 give or take for a 3.5" lift. It's my daily driver but take out on trails almost every weekend and occasional long hauls. Mostly wooded and logged trails and mid trails. Not many rocks around. Going to run 35s for now then 37s in a year or so. Also will upgrade the shocks for Fox

Not looking for long arm suspensions
So the 3 lifts is the
Teraflex 3"
Rock krawler 3.5"
Metalcloak 3.5"

Just looking for your opinion and why also some have different models under that style of you could be specific. As always pics of yours is appreciated because fun to look at! Lol
Old 09-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to JK-Forum!

You'll get lots of opinions on this. I recommend you read DirtMan's post- https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 09-28-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LillyTheWillys
How is it going. So first jeep and first lift ever I'm buying in the near future. Been researching a little and have it narrowed Down to a few. My budget is around 1700 give or take for a 3.5" lift. It's my daily driver but take out on trails almost every weekend and occasional long hauls. Mostly wooded and logged trails and mid trails. Not many rocks around. Going to run 35s for now then 37s in a year or so. Also will upgrade the shocks for Fox

Not looking for long arm suspensions
So the 3 lifts is the
Teraflex 3"
Rock krawler 3.5"
Metalcloak 3.5"

Just looking for your opinion and why also some have different models under that style of you could be specific. As always pics of yours is appreciated because fun to look at! Lol
You're going to need more than $1700 to do it correctly. 3-3.5" is going to net you more than you're bargaining for since your jeep is stock. That means no front or rear weight to counter the spring rate. Plus to run those numbers, you're going to need control arms, driveshafts, an alignment and plausibly different offset wheels. Rock Krawler recommends a 4.5" backspacing on their 3.5" X-Factor kit. Not sure what "mid trails" means, but I'm going out on a limb and guess you mean moderate. You can find a basic lift from any of those companies for that price, but it wont include everything you will need to make the system work perfectly. Relocation brackets, adjustable track bars, better shock options or in some cases limiting straps. If I was you, I'd pair up with someone that has done this before locally and talk to them about your options and help you plan for the future. There's no sense in wasting money now to run 35's when you plan to run 37's in a year. The lift size will plausibly change considerably to clear your setup or require additional modifications and parts that the next suspension kit for $500-$1000 more would cover. Do it right the first time and don't rush it.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I have never understood the thinking of going to 35's then a year 37's makes no sense.
If you want a better off road rig then big tires, proper gearing, and lockers will get you there. Lift is really an after thought to allow room for your tires. Buying a lift and building around it is backwards. A mistake made by many new jeep owners. If you are just running moderate trails 35's is plenty of tire and 37's will just make the trails boring and will cost you way more you think in the end.

You have listed 3 of many kits available out there but you don't say why you picked these three? Is there something about them you feel you need or are you just basing off what people on a forum are pushing at you?

You say you are going to upgrade to Fox shocks, which shocks? they make several models. Why Fox? Because of the name or the fact they are shiny? Because they properly fit your set up to maximize articulation?

Don't get all hung up on brands and forum recommendations are typically worth what you pay for them. Figure out what you need to overcome what ever things you feel your current set up is not able to do.

Good luck with the jeep

Last edited by TheDirtman; 09-28-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I have never understood the thinking of going to 35's then a year 37's makes no sense. If you ant a better off road rig then big tires, proper gearing, and lockers will get you there. Lift is really an after thought to allow room for your tires. Buying a lift and building around it is backwards. A mistake made by many new jeep owners. If you are just running moderate trails 35's is plenty of tire and 37's will just make the trails boring and will cost you way more you think in the end. You have listed 3 of many kits available out there but you don't say why you picked these three? Is there something about them you feel you need or are you just basing off what people on a forum are pushing at you? You say you are going to upgrade to Fox shocks, which shocks? they make several models. Why Fox? Because of the name or the fact they are shiny? Because they properly fit your set up to maximize articulation? Don't get all hung up on brands and forum recommendations are typically worth what you pay for them. Figure out what you need to overcome what ever things you feel your current set up is not able to do. Good luck with the jeep
Thanks guys. It was supposed to say mud not mid and probably sticking with the 35s I don't see why 37 is necessary besides how nice they look. I chose those brands from friends who have built theirs and recommend them for durability, articulation, etc. and the price was just for he lift. I know tires are a side note of probably that same price if not more!

I'm first off roader. If you couldn't tell already and was gonna go with the fox 2.0 performance for the articulation and smooth ride since it will still be my daily
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Articulation is all in the set up and ride is a subjective term that is typically not optimized with a generic tuned shock. Just because the brand is fox does not mean anything as far as articulation or ride quality.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Articulation is all in the set up and ride is a subjective term that is typically not optimized with a generic tuned shock. Just because the brand is fox does not mean anything as far as articulation or ride quality.
I'm constantly trying to explain that. The power of a name is amazing honestly.

If you want to run 37's, just go straight to 37's. Do the correct modifications to safely run them to avoid damage and future issues like a warped axle housing. I agree with dirtman, 35's will be fine for what you have said you will be doing and 37's wouldn't help you anymore than a nice set of MT 35's. Save your money, invest in a full proven suspension kit that includes the bracketry, shocks and coils, control arms, tie rods and disconnects. your price isn't far from a really nice setup that will leave you plenty of growing room in the future. Articulation comes from several factors:
  1. Tire size
  2. Control arm length
  3. Shock size
  4. Coil length
  5. Being able to disconnect your front axle from the swaybar

These things have to be taken into consideration from the start. I think you should really put more thought into what your long term plan is for your jeep and set your wallet and sight on the long term goal instead of the short term one. It's going to save you a lot of money and time. Most of us put smaller inadequate lifts on our jeeps in the start and as time went by we keep buying more and more expensive lifts. If you want mud and basic trail riding, get a 3" kit that gives you better shocks, springs and the appropriate parts to make the system work correctly and get some 35's. If you plan to go places where articulation is EXTREMELY important, then look at the X-Factor kit by Rock Krawler or a Teraflex kit that can grow with you along the way.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JkHauler
I'm constantly trying to explain that. The power of a name is amazing honestly. If you want to run 37's, just go straight to 37's. Do the correct modifications to safely run them to avoid damage and future issues like a warped axle housing. I agree with dirtman, 35's will be fine for what you have said you will be doing and 37's wouldn't help you anymore than a nice set of MT 35's. Save your money, invest in a full proven suspension kit that includes the bracketry, shocks and coils, control arms, tie rods and disconnects. your price isn't far from a really nice setup that will leave you plenty of growing room in the future. Articulation comes from several factors:[*]Tire size[*]Control arm length[*]Shock size[*]Coil length[*]Being able to disconnect your front axle from the swaybar These things have to be taken into consideration from the start. I think you should really put more thought into what your long term plan is for your jeep and set your wallet and sight on the long term goal instead of the short term one. It's going to save you a lot of money and time. Most of us put smaller inadequate lifts on our jeeps in the start and as time went by we keep buying more and more expensive lifts. If you want mud and basic trail riding, get a 3" kit that gives you better shocks, springs and the appropriate parts to make the system work correctly and get some 35's. If you plan to go places where articulation is EXTREMELY important, then look at the X-Factor kit by Rock Krawler or a Teraflex kit that can grow with you along the way.
Thanks man. All good points to think about. And like I said those were the exact ones I was thinking of
Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

JkHauler;4248159]3-3.5" is going to net you more than you're bargaining for since your jeep is stock. That means no front or rear weight to counter the spring rate.
Consider what JKHauler is saying here. I have no experience with RK or Tera coils, but those Metalcloak 3.5" coils netted me somewhere closer to 5" on my relatively light 4dooor. Just a suggestion, but consider 2.5" coils instead. Then chop your flares or go to flats if you want more wheel well space. At some point in the near future, I will be swapping coils and dropping down, as, even though I tend to like taller lifts, I just don't need this much...
Old 09-28-2016, 11:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Consider what JKHauler is saying here. I have no experience with RK or Tera coils, but those Metalcloak 3.5" coils netted me somewhere closer to 5" on my relatively light 4dooor. Just a suggestion, but consider 2.5" coils instead. Then chop your flares or go to flats if you want more wheel well space. At some point in the near future, I will be swapping coils and dropping down, as, even though I tend to like taller lifts, I just don't need this much...
Is that on 35s or the coils alone set you up 5 higher?

Quick Reply: First ever lift looking for opinions