Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flame suit on, need lift opinions..

Old 08-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So go simple- 2" budget spacer with some decent shocks and then figure out flat fenders. You'll have the look and close to a factory ride. I did a piecemeal "kit" and drive 50 miles a day. It's not a Cadillac but it rides nicer than Rubicon Express, pro comp, and bds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160621_183635.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	654897

You can tell how well it rides by looking at pictures.....or so the community has been lead to believe.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
So go simple- 2" budget spacer with some decent shocks and then figure out flat fenders. You'll have the look and close to a factory ride. I did a piecemeal "kit" and drive 50 miles a day. It's not a Cadillac but it rides nicer than Rubicon Express, pro comp, and bds.

You can tell how well it rides by looking at pictures.....or so the community has been lead to believe.
Looking at the TF BB and trying to figure out some decent shocks.. Not a fan of flat fenders at this point.. Really like the look of this FR one...
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_rear_bumper_010.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	654898
Old 08-19-2016, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...n=R%2fERE7145T

Thoughts on this, seems like a decent "kit"... TF BB and shocks is around $500, this is $1000..
Old 08-20-2016, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going that far you might as well get a quality USA made kit...

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Overlan...cks-p/7146.htm

Similar in terms of type of kit but a bit more complete. Then RE kit looks like it's got cam bolts for the rear which aren't great

Another option that's without shocks and control arms instead of brackets

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...Kit-p/7115.htm

add some billstein 5100s or Fox adventure series of 2.0s
Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
If your going that far you might as well get a quality USA made kit...

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Overlan...cks-p/7146.htm

Similar in terms of type of kit but a bit more complete. Then RE kit looks like it's got cam bolts for the rear which aren't great

Another option that's without shocks and control arms instead of brackets

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...Kit-p/7115.htm

add some billstein 5100s or Fox adventure series of 2.0s
other than rear cam bolts, is the quality that much better? what about the RockSport shocks they offer?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know there is a quality/design difference in drop brackets between the MC and rough country the MC ones are a better design, boxed together instead of a plate . And the springs in the MC kit are of a different design and will probably last longer

Most posts on this forum will (like dirtman mentioned ) push you to a Rock Krawler, Metalcloak or Teraflex.

I have no experience with either shock so I can't comment but have heard good things.
I have run Billstein 4600s and currently run Fox 2.0 Resi($$$ as much as the lift your looking at) if you have a shock preference you can get the MC kit without shocks and make a decision on the shocks you want to run based on what you want out of it. You can get decent shocks for between 250-400$ so factor that into your total price. Buy once cry once

I can guarantee you won't get a phone call from rough country after placing your order like you will with Metalcloak. Their customer support has been top notch!
Old 08-20-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Plan to stay clear of anything RC, Im leaning towards Rubicon Express or MetalCloak.. anyone have an opinion of the RE shocks? Twin tube or Mono?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Housegoat
Plan to stay clear of anything RC, Im leaning towards Rubicon Express or MetalCloak.. anyone have an opinion of the RE shocks? Twin tube or Mono?
I'm running the MC 3.5" lift with their rocksport shocks and the ride is nothing short of stupendous. lol. Seriously. I love it. Highly recommend considering pairing their shocks with their springs.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils paired with Rancho RS7000 MT's and love the ride. I commute 40 miles one way to work on Texas roads. I would strongly encourage you finding Jeepers in you area and take a ride with various lifts to see what you like.

Again just my opinion.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canvas
I have the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils paired with Rancho RS7000 MT's and love the ride. I commute 40 miles one way to work on Texas roads. I would strongly encourage you finding Jeepers in you area and take a ride with various lifts to see what you like. Again just my opinion.
^^^ this

Quick Reply: Flame suit on, need lift opinions..