Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat flares with stock rear bumper?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flat flares with stock rear bumper?

looking at doing bushwacker flat flares on my 4-dr willys. i've searched and can't find any pics of the rear bumper being stock and these on. seems everywhere i look they show after market bumpers. do these look funny with the stock rear bumper? i've got an expedition one front but stock rear. any pics would be awesome
Old 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I had a stock rear bumper with bushwackers and it was not the bumper per se that looked goofy but the Bushwackers. I would never recommend them, not because of the quality which was great but they just look so darn goofy compared to other flat fenders.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi

Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

My jk was rocking stock cut flares with a stock rear bumpy for a little while.

Really didn't look too bad, will agree on the bush-whack flares not only looking goofy but cost too much for melted pringles can lids.

I went over replacing my stock flares with aluminum or steel tubey style fancy ones. But for the cash it's just a bit nonsensical, to me. Yes it looks phenomenal, especially the nemesis flares.

Being as nemesis is local to me if I ever went aftermarket flares it would be those.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

If you are mainly just on the road, or your wheelin' style is just fire road type stuff, Bushwackers might be ok for you. If you get in to anything more moderate or aggressive, I'd caution against them. I had them for a while, but they were a poor decision on my part for my use. One of the few things I really regret as they are not cheap. I think flats in general look odd with a full width bumper up front, but it only matters what you think. Also, the front Bushwakers always seemed just a bit on the wide side to me. One thing I do recall from when I put them on was it felt like they caught a ton of air.....like I had these big wings just scooping air and creating additional drag vs. the factory flares. At the time I had a smitty SRC front bumper on.....so full width, but those bars didn't block or redirect the air at all.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the pics, that's exactly what i wanted to see. they don't look that bad, good. personally i like the look & have them on my old xj too.

i'm going overland-ish type build. already have 1" teraflex spacers & spidertrax wheel spacers. now with the flat flares i'll run 34's and should have the look i'm going for without needing to lift etc. i really don't plan on any serious wheeling, i've got the xj for the rough stuff
Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you are mainly just on the road, or your wheelin' style is just fire road type stuff, Bushwackers might be ok for you. If you get in to anything more moderate or aggressive, I'd caution against them. I had them for a while, but they were a poor decision on my part for my use. One of the few things I really regret as they are not cheap. I think flats in general look odd with a full width bumper up front, but it only matters what you think. Also, the front Bushwakers always seemed just a bit on the wide side to me. One thing I do recall from when I put them on was it felt like they caught a ton of air.....like I had these big wings just scooping air and creating additional drag vs. the factory flares. At the time I had a smitty SRC front bumper on.....so full width, but those bars didn't block or redirect the air at all.
While I an not nuts about the look I disagree about them being able to offroad. I have had mine on the rubicon trail,moab several times and dusy ershim and if you have done the dusy you know it is a tree infested trail
Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
While I an not nuts about the look I disagree about them being able to offroad. I have had mine on the rubicon trail,moab several times and dusy ershim and if you have done the dusy you know it is a tree infested trail
LOL, You're a lot more careful than I am! I had a few little mishaps that I took full responsibility for and didn't blame the plastic flare for not holding up, but the one that really pissed me off was being on a really narrow trail....and literally just sliding by a tree on the rear flare. I didn't knock the tree....i just grazed by it very very slowly with maybe just a little pressure. I thought I escaped damage free as the fender looked fine. Got home from wheelin and noticed it ended up pushing in my whole rear quarter panel due to how they mounted and where the pressure was dispersed. That one really irked me. Other than that, my beef with them was mainly just how rigid they were. The tube on the edges just doesn't allow for any flexibility, so if you do get a crease in one from bending it, it will never go back to normal.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the four inch flares look like dumbo ears. Poison Spyder came out with the 2" flat flares and they look a lot better. The only downfall is that if your state has laws about how far your tires can stick out from your fenders then you can get a fix it ticket. (If the cop wants to be a dick). Try taking a look at some setups with the 2" flares though, you might like it.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Bushwacker flats and it was the biggest mistake I've made with my Jeep so far!

They literally started falling off, I grazed a tree and one popped right off

I threw them away and went with the Poison Spyder ones and I've hit big trees when slipping in heavy mud and not even a scratch

Also, if you bump into a tree the plastic ones transfer the impact to your body panels

My drivers side rear quarter panel is wrinkled permanently

Quick Reply: flat flares with stock rear bumper?