Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame bracing???

Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame bracing???

I am wondering if anyone make frame braces for the front, and rear of the JK frames. I would like to reinforce the crumple areas. I just saw a JK that got hit in the rear, and it is totaled because there is a crumple ridge in the rear right under where the brake line is. It wasn't a big impact, but enough to bend the frame at that crumple zone. Before anyone says it, " I really am not concerned about the safety of this." I just want the frame stronger. If not I guess I weld on plate steel. Thank You
Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can do as you please but the crumple zones are there to absorb the impact. Tell us more about this crash you saw, please. I was involved in an accident where I ended up rear-ending a minivan at highway speeds and both of us walked away without a scratch. The minivan was totaled. The jeep had a minor bend in the hood since my bumper took the hit and absorbed it before the load was transferred to the crumple zone.

Plate is always an option but the occupants may feel that hit instead of the crumple zone eating it up.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must of hit a jersey barrier just right then. My frame was fine. But needed front bumper, plastic bumper shroud and new tow hooks. And new alignment.

Dont know why my airbag didnt go off.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That crumple zone isn't just for your safety the impact not absorbed by your modified crumple zones will be transferred into both vehicles. Imagine you get in an at fault accident and someone in the other vehicle is maimed or dies. If anyone finds out you eliminated the federally mandated crumple zones the out come in civil court could be ugly. Not tryin to be a D-bag but that would be my fear.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe the JK was totaled because there is no designated "crumple zone" on the rear, as there is on the front. (The front frame members are replaceable, btw.)

The frame is designed to crumple in a controlled way, though. Notice the strongest part is under the passenger area.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-30-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

The two door JK that I saw got hit from behind at about 25MPH. There is a crumble ridge in the rear right under the brake line bracket. That is where she kinked. I guess plating it, like I have done to my XJs is the only way to go. I guess no one makes them. Thanks for the diagram. it shows me where the most reinforcement is needed. Much like the XJ most is needed to be welded in the front with some cross bracing.

Last edited by metaldemon; 08-30-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
The two door JK that I saw got hit from behind at about 25MPH. There is a crumble ridge in the rear right under the brake line bracket. That is where she kinked. I guess plating it, like I have done to my XJs is the only way to go. I guess no one makes them. Thanks for the diagram. it shows me where the most reinforcement is needed. Much like the XJ most is needed to be welded in the front with some cross bracing.
Huh?! The frame isn't weak there. It's designed for safety. Sure, brace it up. Will be awesome when you have a broken neck and the person that hit you died. I don't get what you're trying to accomplish? The frame is plenty stiff for anything you want to do (yes, older Jeeps had weaknesses, but that is absolutely not the case with the JK and every new vehicle today has crumple zones just like the JK - they only crumple during an accident). If you're doing it because you're worried that if you get hit from behind there will be a lot of damage, then you are a total a-hole. If you can't afford full coverage insurance, sell the Jeep.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

I am an A--hole, always have been. THANK YOU!!!!! I do have full coverage with zero deductible on all my vehicles. I just don't want all my hard work to go for nothing if I get hit at slower speeds. My friends wife just totaled a Saturn Vue with his XJ, and it crumbled the frame rail right where the steering box is bolted to the frame as she crawled into the Vue. If he had listened to me, and braced it. We wouldn't be welding on it right now. Years ago a person cut me off, and got hit by my XJ which I fully braced the frame, and Unibody. I drove home, and the car went away on a flatbed. The police officer was impressed with the total lack of damage, other than scratched bumper paint. He also didn't know why the air bags didn't go off. My son drives that XJ to college now, and know what Cheri can handle. My other Xj is getting the same bracing as we speak. JK will be next. Thanks for all the help, and name calling.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I just ask a question, if any were being made by anybody. Since I guess not, I will carry on. It would have been nice if a company made them ready to weld on. It is easier than measuring, cutting & fitting. XJ unibody braces are build to weld on. I only had to make the bracing for in front of the wheels, and cross bracing. Thank You.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
I wasn't trying to start an argument. I just ask a question, if any were being made by anybody. Since I guess not, I will carry on. It would have been nice if a company made them ready to weld on. It is easier than measuring, cutting & fitting. XJ unibody braces are build to weld on. I only had to make the bracing for in front of the wheels, and cross bracing. Thank You.
Can you post a picture of the crumple ridge you mention? I may be looking in the wrong place on mine, as I don't see it.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-31-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Frame bracing???