Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frankenlift 101

Old 02-09-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenlift 101

I've been rocking back and forth between lifts for close to a 6 or 8 months now and still don't feel like any closer to a decision so I'm now considering piecing one together. I'm only wanting 2.5" so what is the bare minimum to start off with? Im probably going to opt to Metal Cloak coils if that helps. The help is going to be greatly appreciated. Trying to keep the build as budget friendly as possible by the way.

Also for a little more info the jeep is a 2 door sport. Current mods are 2.5 budget boost, ballistic wheels, jcr bumper and engo winch. Future mods are ace sliders, tire carrier, and a regear.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I am/ was in your situation for a while so I'll tell you where I am currently and what's working.

Currently rk 2.5" coils, Rancho shocks, longer sway bar links f/r, and rear track bar bracket.

I've not added any bumpstops because I chose shocks that wouldn't limit uptravel and I'm in the process of going to longer brake lines because mine are wearing through from the outside rubbing on things. I've also not gone to adjustable track bars yet and I don't see a need...yet. The front driveshaft very recently started spitting grease so I'm watching for a driveshaft or the TF rebuild kit, whichever pops up first.

You'll want to tweak the rear wheel speed sensor lines to give them some extra slack and the fronts can be replaced with ones from the auto parts store that are the superseded part number and much longer. I've got rear brake line drops but they'll go away when I install the longer lines to replace the stock ones that have flat spots on them.

I'm happy with the ride and I'd absolutely build it this way again. I'm in a 2dr so you should expect a similar experience.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Frankenstein-setup on my 2 dr as well.

Have tf coils, adj front tb, rear bracket, all synergy high steer and tie rod, all 8 control arms, had metal cloak till last week, Adams shafts front and rear, rancho 9000 adj all around, and rk sway bar links front and rear. Am thinking about going to mc coils here pretty quick.

My setup runs flawless. Just takes time.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there a bare minimum to get yourself rolling? For example, springs, shocks, and end links? Or would I need more? I understand that's not "complete" by alot of standards but I'm building as I can afford it.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
Is there a bare minimum to get yourself rolling? For example, springs, shocks, and end links? Or would I need more? I understand that's not "complete" by alot of standards but I'm building as I can afford it.
If I had to do it all over again, i would buy in this order, just from my build issues and problems with stock stuff dying.

1. Springs and shocks
2. All control arms
3. Drive shafts
4. Front track bar and rear bracket

Everything else can fall in wherever being as its all much cheaper than these .

Note- I am running 2.5" springs and got close to 4" of height.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
I have a Frankenstein-setup on my 2 dr as well. Have tf coils, adj front tb, rear bracket, all synergy high steer and tie rod, all 8 control arms, had metal cloak till last week, Adams shafts front and rear, rancho 9000 adj all around, and rk sway bar links front and rear. Am thinking about going to mc coils here pretty quick. My setup runs flawless. Just takes time.

Just curious why you went with the synergy arms and got rid of the cloaks? I've seen the synergy arms they are beefy and seem solid like all of their stuff.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Riflejk
Just curious why you went with the synergy arms and got rid of the cloaks? I've seen the synergy arms they are beefy and seem solid like all of their stuff.
Simple answer, sold to a dude at work. His jk is his dd so it made more sense. His rig is just starting out, and he could probably never afford those arms by wheeling season.

I need lower maintenance, being as removing for cleaning and rebuild is imminent, I prefer the Johnny joint. I do not have synergy control arms, not a fan of collars. I purchased mine from a local builder made from 5/16" x 1.75" with 2" johnnies. These are twice as thick as pretty much all the others. Lucky to see a 1/4" wall if that, sadly.

There was nothing wrong with the metal cloak arms at all, but they will serve better and longer on the other jeep. Loved the finish and the feel was amazing. Everything they claim they are, no question.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you're going to try to operate at the bare minimum then be prepared to check and fix things frequently. You can run 2.5" coils with stock shocks but you'll about pull them apart if you hit a good bump...been there, done that. Brake lines are similar but drops can help you there. Sway bar links are one of the pieces that are less noticeable until you pretzel one.

I ran on just coils with longer front links and rear brake line drops for quite a while. Now that I know what my ride feels like, I wish I had done everything at once.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
No, nothing but coils (or spacers) are a 'must have'. It's all personal opinion after that.

If you are ok with the flighty steering caused by the lift height, no need for caster correction.

If you are ok with the steeper driveshaft angles, no need for pinion correction.

If you are ok with having both axles off-center (and assuming you check to make sure that it is not causing a tire to rub on one side or anything), no need for axle centering.

If you are ok with having limited axle droop, (and having extra uptravel does not bring the tires into contact with the flares), no need for longer shocks and/or taller bumpstops.

If you are ok with the chance of having a swaybar flip around backward when the suspension is drooped, no need for longer links. (probably not an issue if you stay with the short stock shocks, but good to be aware of...)

etc, etc, for brakelines and whatever else i forgot...

And research the specific coils to get an idea of the actual lift height 'you' can expect. (with metalcloak 3.5", I am closer to 5" on my light 4door. As you go taller, you are much more likely to want the added parts!!!)

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-10-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Frankenlift 101