Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Options

Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAG00
I guess the fact that upgrading parts, or having to work on or replace parts later would involve looking for items that aren't even Jeep parts (both either stock or upgrades). Thus my lack of knowledge plays in to fuel the hesitation or fear. But I guess you've got to learn somehow, right?
The aftermarket support for these particular sets of 60's have ramped up and come online the last couple of years. I wouldn't let it concern you too much. Even stock F250 axle shafts, u-joints, etc. are pretty easy to find if you wanted to stay stock internals for replacements.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I really like the way Fusion is heading with this. IMHO you'd end up with a very strong front axle at a very reasonable cost. You'd end up with better brakes, manual hubs to boot. The 99-04 Super Duty D60 is plentiful with lots of support. I'd like more info on how they'd get you to 5x5.5" bolt pattern, as the Super Duty was eight bolt.

FYI, I run a Teraflex R44 Rubicon 44 replacement with Reids & Spyntec manual hubs, which are 5x5.5". In a heartbeat I'd have gone with the Fusion D60 offering had it been available. I also agree with his comments re: the Rubicon rear D44. I'd suggest the OP go a step further with Fusion. I have NO with them BTW
Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoK66
The 99-04 Super Duty D60 is plentiful with lots of support. I'd like more info on how they'd get you to 5x5.5" bolt pattern, as the Super Duty was eight bolt.
I was wondering the same thing...

For some reason I recall either Currie or Spydertrax giving you the option to run 5 lug on the Ford d60....not sure.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I run g2 chromoly, fronts. Still have an existing mopar wheel bearing and the other is a Napa gold. I would say you have underlying issue, or the bearings are junk if you go through them that quick.
Thanks for the concern but it would have to be one hell of an underlying issue as everything within my front end, including the housing itself, and the rims/ tires are all new. One bearing is warrantied through autozone and the other through oreillys. Many people state that all the bearings come from the same place and are just rebranded. I don't know if that's true or not.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Hmm gotta wonder though. That's a lot of bearing changes. I've only gone through 1 set of bearings in 230,000klm and they were changed not that long ago. They weren't even that bad but I had the front end apart. The current set are Timken. Balljoints is another story. The Synergy ball joints I had only lasted just over a year/30,000klm.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
In a heartbeat I'd have gone with the Fusion D60 offering had it been available.
Same here. Got my PR44 waaaayyyyy back when there were no other 44 options available. I think Dynatrac and Currie were the only aftermarket 60's (?) at the time (with a bunch of negative reviews on Currie), and people were still having issues figuring out junkyard builds. The PR has been a great axle, not a single issue with it, but if I were in the market now ... I'd be calling these guys too.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:44 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by DJ1

I was wondering the same thing...

For some reason I recall either Currie or Spydertrax giving you the option to run 5 lug on the Ford d60....not sure.
They make wheel adapters if i recall if you for some reason need to keep 5 lug. The spacers are cheap and i actually needed spacers even on a full width front. I could have done it differently but i dont mind spacers at all.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

On pre-05 D60s, you can run most any bolt pattern if you make it. The minimum is 5x5.5, otherwise there is not enough meat on the wheel between the stud hole and wheel bore.

The reason you would use 5x5.5 on a JK is if you were keeping the stock rear axle. Any larger and the stock brake rotor wouldn't clear the wheel mount surface.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the PR44U with RCVs and run 37s. Put 4.88s in and it has done everything I have asked for it to do. Put it through the paces on the Rubicon and everything.

As long as you are not Mr. Lead Foot and are not crazy, should be what you want...

You do pay for it, but the service and availability for this technology of 44 is everywhere. Somebody is gonna have the part you needed if something happens. Good peace of mind knowing Dynatrac stands behind their work. Fusion looks reputable too, so either way your gonna get something good looks like.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:16 AM
goo
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but whats the 411 on running a Fusion axle on a lcog build with a 2" lift and stock steering geometry? Any clearance issues or other drawbacks?

Quick Reply: Front Axle Options