Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front bumper questions

Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumper questions

Front Bumper advise. So as my Jeep life goes on. I am now looking into replace my front bumper. But before I do that, I have question. Just so I can either be prepared for what is to come or what more I would need. Just so everybody knows. I have a 2.5” AEV lift. First questions, should I be ready for a different drive quality. What I mean, is that since some front bumpers are heavier will this mean that every time I hit a bump in the road am I going to feel it. Two, is there a way to prevent this. Three, other than installing the bumper should I also be looking at something else? I know that my front end might be weighed down now, is there something to correct that. So this is the new front bumpers I am looking at so far. The Rampage Front Recovery Bumper. I think it might weigh about 100lbs. And the a lot more money AEV Front bumper which was about 98(really 100) lbs. Any and all advise would be great. I just want to know I am getting into before I do it.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a warn stubby bumper on my 2.5" AEV DualSport lift and it rides like it did stock

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-819211109.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	572008

Name:	image-2219497413.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	572009
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Off road evolution also sells an aluminum stubby bumper check their website out
Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

rock slide engineering also has an aluminum bumper, its expensive though

edit: just checked and you can get the aluminum stubby with a winch mount for 800, that's really not bad considering what most bumpers cost

Last edited by Baddkarmaracing; 08-19-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Yea the AEV bumper is something like 1200-1400 I just got the new Quadratec Catalog. I see a lot of front bumper over a 1000.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

I rock a VKS customs pre-runner stubby...doesn't weigh a bunch has been a solid option...he's not one of the bigger vendor type guys look for him on instagram.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dannyboy76
Yea the AEV bumper is something like 1200-1400 I just got the new Quadratec Catalog. I see a lot of front bumper over a 1000.
i highly recommend rock slide engineering i haven't run anything from them on the jeep but did have their front bumper on my raptor and loved it. i do plan on buying the front bumper in the future for the jeep but will probably be a while.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

I have same lift (2.5 aev) and run the lod mid width armor lite. It's a modular bumper so u can add things later if u want. I have the bumper, bull bar, and front skid which weighs around 65# combined and it is super tough. Would highly recommend. And it's around $500 for the bumper and I think $120 for the bull bar. I have no sag at all and the lift springs were meant to give u 2.5" lift with the aev bumper in place which is way heavier, so actually think I have around 3" lift height. My ride has not changed at all in feel with the added bumper. Have some pics in my photos if u want to see it with the lift. Armor lite is on the anvil jeep, standard lod mid width is on the white jeep (heavier bumper but has a recessed winch space which is a nice touch) armor lite winch would be mounted topside and exposed
Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Dannyboy76
Front Bumper advise. So as my Jeep life goes on. I am now looking into replace my front bumper. But before I do that, I have question. Just so I can either be prepared for what is to come or what more I would need. Just so everybody knows. I have a 2.5” AEV lift. First questions, should I be ready for a different drive quality. What I mean, is that since some front bumpers are heavier will this mean that every time I hit a bump in the road am I going to feel it. Two, is there a way to prevent this. Three, other than installing the bumper should I also be looking at something else? I know that my front end might be weighed down now, is there something to correct that. So this is the new front bumpers I am looking at so far. The Rampage Front Recovery Bumper. I think it might weigh about 100lbs. And the a lot more money AEV Front bumper which was about 98(really 100) lbs. Any and all advise would be great. I just want to know I am getting into before I do it.
Let us know if we can help you out in any way, if your looking for a very light weight but strong bumper, we offer an Armor Lite Series that is extremely light weight, and made out of steel thats 2X as strong as regular steel.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	572181
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trembley
I rock a VKS customs pre-runner stubby...doesn't weigh a bunch has been a solid option...he's not one of the bigger vendor type guys look for him on instagram.
I don't wanna hijack this thread, but can you post a pic? I've only seen them in raw steel and would like to see it finished off.

I have a VKS stubby as well. Requires you to cut the frame rails, but it is a sturdy piece with interior bracing and like stated above, does not weigh too much.

Quick Reply: Front bumper questions