Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Coilovers done, Need Rears???

Old 03-24-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Coilovers done, Need Rears???

I've been running front King coil overs for about eight months now. Have to wheeling trips and has performed as expected.

My original thought was that I would run the front coil overs and when money was free I would invest and purchase rears.

My question is, are rear coil overs necessary?! The jeep has performed very well and the ride is quite good in regards to different springs and shocks from the front to the rear. I know this is generally a preference deal, and there would be no harm in getting them, but what is everyone's thoughts?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. I've actually been wondering about the same thing....
Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devwil68
I've been running front King coil overs for about eight months now. Have to wheeling trips and has performed as expected.

My original thought was that I would run the front coil overs and when money was free I would invest and purchase rears.

My question is, are rear coil overs necessary?! The jeep has performed very well and the ride is quite good in regards to different springs and shocks from the front to the rear. I know this is generally a preference deal, and there would be no harm in getting them, but what is everyone's thoughts?
Do you need them? No.. Do they offer benefits? Yes... That being said i have seen alot of crawling rigs run coilovers front and air shocks or coils and shocks in the rear. Ideally you can get the same travel in the rear
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would not bother if you are going to use one of the kits that hang them out the back in the factory locations. They will offer you more choices on coil rates and ride height though if you do go that route.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would not bother if you are going to use one of the kits that hang them out the back in the factory locations. They will offer you more choices on coil rates and ride height though if you do go that route.
Would you like explain why not to that route?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

In the stock location they won't offer you any benefits that can't be achieved with a good conventional coil spring/shock set up. If you went with a custom set up such as outboarding them it is a whole different story.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Like desert crawler said there is not a lot of benefit you can't get if you spend the time to do it right with rear coils. Using the factory mounts limit your shock travel unless you are going to run a lot of lift. I also don't care to have shocks hang out back like that let alone a bigger coil over that can catch damage.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Like desert crawler said there is not a lot of benefit you can't get if you spend the time to do it right with rear coils. Using the factory mounts limit your shock travel unless you are going to run a lot of lift. I also don't care to have shocks hang out back like that let alone a bigger coil over that can catch damage.
This was also my thought...$2k worth of shock that will likely hang on something as I have already met my rear LCA bracket from a rock hangup...
Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Just one guys opinion, but I've never been a huge fan of rear coilovers in a daily driver setup. There's too many variables in flux for the rear for me to feel confident in my abilities to setup a system that works well in all situations. A dedicated trail rig that's weight stays fairly constant, coilovers give you a few advantages. And the bolt on applications (in most cases) fall short in design, as already said. If you want to completely rework your rear end, with a whole new mounting system, then go for the coilovers, but if you don't want to use a sawzall and a gas axe then I would stick with a well tuned shock/spring setup in the rear.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WashingtonWrangler
Just one guys opinion, but I've never been a huge fan of rear coilovers in a daily driver setup. There's too many variables in flux for the rear for me to feel confident in my abilities to setup a system that works well in all situations. A dedicated trail rig that's weight stays fairly constant, coilovers give you a few advantages. And the bolt on applications (in most cases) fall short in design, as already said. If you want to completely rework your rear end, with a whole new mounting system, then go for the coilovers, but if you don't want to use a sawzall and a gas axe then I would stick with a well tuned shock/spring setup in the rear.
Well said! I'll just put that money into a build rear 44...not sure. D60 is absolutely necessary if I never plan on running 40s....not sure I want a rear locker either...but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

DW

Quick Reply: Front Coilovers done, Need Rears???