Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end makes 'honking' sound on bumps off-road

Old 05-31-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end makes 'honking' sound on bumps off-road

I went off-roading for the first time in my front end was making a goose honking sound.

Here is an idea of the sound but it's just once, not constant... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgUNUUP1Ta0

Last edited by MountJEEP; 07-28-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you run over a goose?? I would get out have someone push down on the jeep see if it's coming from the shocks
Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could be a loose swaybar link. The collision shop I took my Jeep to stripped the hell out of the bolt on one of my front links and it sounds slightly like that.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Could be some worn out sway bar bushings. Had the same thing happen on mine and took me forever to figure it out until I completely disconnected the sway bar from the axle. Went over the same bumps that would give me the noise prior and had no issues. Replaced them with a fresh set
Old 05-31-2015, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepJK199
Could be some worn out sway bar bushings. Had the same thing happen on mine and took me forever to figure it out until I completely disconnected the sway bar from the axle. Went over the same bumps that would give me the noise prior and had no issues. Replaced them with a fresh set
So would installing a Teraflex Sway Bar Disconnect fix my issue? (if that's the problem)
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I'm going through!!!!! Yes!!! Someone else is going through the same thing!!!! I thought I was losing my mind!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MountJEEP
So would installing a Teraflex Sway Bar Disconnect fix my issue? (if that's the problem)
Silly question, how much do you think it will cost to fix?

Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kfast24
Did you run over a goose?? I would get out have someone push down on the jeep see if it's coming from the shocks
x2, you could disconnect the sway bar and have a big buddy bounce on the bumper , that should help you find it .
Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just came back from the mechanic. And everything seems tight. No loose ends. The bushings around my shocks a little worn but I have new shocks coming soon. So I have no idea.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a somewhat similar sounding noise coming from my Jeep a couple weeks ago. I would have sworn from the drivers seat that is was coming from the front passenger side. I tested it like people are saying here by having my friend bounce on the bumper. Turns out that the sound was actually coming from the drivers side lower shock bolt being too loose. Noticed that the bushing was worn and all four shocks will need to be replaced soon. For the time being i tighten that bolt and no more noise.

Quick Reply: Front end makes 'honking' sound on bumps off-road