Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel economy on 35's

Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
technically, yes. As for anything truly insightful to gain MPG? No. Really, what's to gain? 1-2 MPG? 3 at best? Simple math will shed light on the very fact that dropping $300-$1000 on CAI, exhaust and tuners would take years, often beyond the intended usage and life of the vehicle for an owner, to see his/her savings to even cancel out the "investment" of the parts applied to gain said MPG. why "investment"? Because very few automotive dollars are an investment. It's all losses. But you can't put a market price on fun.
Let's not forget the ones that drive across town to get cheaper gas at the pump. That totally does not make sense to me as well.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
From 13 to 15 mpg over 125000 miles at $3.50 per saves about $4,500 From 15 to 17 mpg over that same 125000 miles nets about $3,500 in savings I'm willing to bet there are one or two here that have put (or will put) 125,000 miles on their JK while they own it and will recover the cost and more if prices go higher than they were. At $1.75 per that is still $2,250 or $1,750 For me, if I drive 75 mph I get measured 16.5-16.9 and at 65 I get 18-19 measured (calculated by miles travelled and gallons consumed using Billy's not so excellent Excel) so I just decide what is more important getting there sooner or with a couple of extra $$ in my pocket. Now top off or on the trail my mpg is crap, but I don't care, it's where I choose to spend my money It's a Jeep, MPG shouldn't even be part of the conversation Edit: I used to get better mileage, but tires and a mild lift beat that down some
$3500-$4500 is considering the gas at nearly $4/gal. Which, in the course of 125k miles, isn't the case. Even more, the vast majority of owners don't put 100k on their vehicles. I do. But, I can honestly say, of all the people I know, I'm one of probably less than a dozen. Consumer average is 4-7 years. As for this crowd? It might be higher, but I guarantee you, the guys moaning about mpg, don't keep their rigs. The guys who keep the,, are the ones who know what they bought, and as you stated, it's a jeep, mpg shouldn't be part of the conversation. You summed up my thoughts exactly on that one. We can really get nitty gritty and talk about guys like my uncle who pays wholesale prices for his own fuel pumps. Getting more deep, by the time they run the primary 3 mods to increase their mpg, they need higher octane, so the savings is used up there as well.

Get over it fellas. You bought a Jeep.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashcal superchipi

Originally Posted by catahoula
AEV Procal has an inexpensive one and can be had used for cheap. Just make sure they clear it out before you get it. Any pics of your ride?
i don't have the procal but I do have the flashcal. It took me 3 times to get the speedo correct and I have it calibrated at 31.5 inches for 33.5 Nito's. Now isn't that crazy; but it registers correct. The flashcal will let me set axle ratio, t.case high ratio, t
. Case low ratio. There is no transmission shift function that I can find. It does state that the axle ratio is used to improve the Jeeps 2wd shift points by modifying the axle gear ratio.

Does anyone know the correct setting for calibrations? I don't want to play cat & mouse with all these
Different settings. I have the factory setting for 3.73 axle ratio set. I didn't even check the other setting ,don't want to mesh up everything. Any help is appreciated.

GW in little rock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	593633   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	593634  
Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GW in little rock
i don't have the procal but I do have the flashcal. It took me 3 times to get the speedo correct and I have it calibrated at 31.5 inches for 33.5 Nito's. Now isn't that crazy; but it registers correct. The flashcal will let me set axle ratio, t.case high ratio, t
. Case low ratio. There is no transmission shift function that I can find. It does state that the axle ratio is used to improve the Jeeps 2wd shift points by modifying the axle gear ratio.

Does anyone know the correct setting for calibrations? I don't want to play cat & mouse with all these
Different settings. I have the factory setting for 3.73 axle ratio set. I didn't even check the other setting ,don't want to mesh up everything. Any help is appreciated.

GW in little rock
Those are 33's? Man, they look big! Looks good I like it. What is the full size of those. Terra's right?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terra's

Originally Posted by catahoula
Those are 33's? Man, they look big! Looks good I like it. What is the full size of those. Terra's right?
yes they are285/70r17. I climbed several Apline Passes and never drug high center. I didn't see any need with a 2dr for any taller tire. With the 3 inch lift I get several good comments on it.

GW

Quick Reply: Fuel economy on 35's