Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

future upgrades

Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default future upgrades

So I'm going to upgrade to 35's and I want to have the option of move up to 37's in the future without to many upgrades. I've got the Dana 30 in the front now and 3.73 gearing. For upgrades I want to do the following. 3.5in rough country lift, bushwacker flat flares, Dana 44 on front and maybe 4.88 gearing, lockers too while re gearing. So other than spacing would I need anything else to go from 35 to 37? And would 4.88 be ok to have with 35'?.(don't know much about gearing)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

Bump.........
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i got a rough country 3.5 and it has sagged quite a bit so i put a 1.25 body lift. If you r going to go rough country i recommend you get a bigger lift then you think. Im thinking of 37s but i dont think i can get away with it in the woods cause with full flex im stuffed with the 35. I can add bump stops but not sure i really wanna do that. And im running the stock rubi 4:10 and its fine you just got to know its a jeep and not a race car (which im guilty of it) but its fine
Old 03-04-2014, 03:09 AM
JK Freak

I'm running 35s with 2.5 in of life and flat flares. I like the look. 37s on 3.5 will look great. The 44 will give you some strength up front.

Gearing is a matter of choice. Your selection will be fine. I'm still running stock gearing on my 35s and am quite satisfied.

You will need something with less backspace. I went with 16 in wheels which gives you more sidewall on a roughly 4.25 backspace if I recall correctly. No rubbing.

Good luck. I will say that. To me 35s are plenty unless you're really doing some heavy wheeling. I run mine aggressively in the woods. But I'm a Florida boy. Mud holes and dry lakes etc. you can start breaking things if ya go to big. Knowing that. Have fun and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3794654792.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	535002  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Based on Grubb's observation you may wan to consider an RK 3.5 X factor for a lift. The RK lift will actually give you an extra inch so when you start putting on your skids and bumpers you should end up with 3.5 inches of lift total.

As for your other mods, look at the teraflex axles. Reason for this is that by the time you upgrade your axles, gears and shafts you will be dang near this price anyway if not over it so why not just go with a bolt in and be done with it.

Gearing:

If you have less than a 2012, I would recommend no less than 5.13's for the 37's with an auto and 4.88's with a manual.

Lockers: Since you are there, ya might as well put them in. Better to have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them.

Once you do all this you will find the Jeep a little hard to steer with the 37's and locked so you may want to look into a PSC RAM at some point. This is not a necessary mod but when you are 4lo and locked man it makes things nice.

Shocks- we ran Bilstein 5100's for a long time and were happy with them until we blew two of them. We blew them in two ways, high speed runs over bumpy fire roads for about 15 miles and the other way was full compression to full extension. This is pricey but if you subscribe to the theory of buy it once and be done with it, consider either Fox or KING shocks. You will want the speed bumps with them as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kschenkel
So I'm going to upgrade to 35's and I want to have the option of move up to 37's in the future without to many upgrades. I've got the Dana 30 in the front now and 3.73 gearing. For upgrades I want to do the following. 3.5in rough country lift, bushwacker flat flares, Dana 44 on front and maybe 4.88 gearing, lockers too while re gearing. So other than spacing would I need anything else to go from 35 to 37? And would 4.88 be ok to have with 35'?.(don't know much about gearing)
What year? Auto/manual?

Quick Reply: future upgrades