Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are G2 Axle high quality?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Are G2 Axle high quality?

I was looking at front/rear axle complete kits and noticed that the G2 Axle kits are a good bit cheaper than the similar Alloy USA kits. Plus they include new differential covers. Are these kits good quality?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back when I was buying axles, the G2 Placer axles were the way to go.
At $600 for rear and $1000 front, I'd say they are right there on pricing with Alloy USA.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Made in China keeps the cost down.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

I should have been a little more specific. This is what I'm dealing with. Our JKU was hit last week on the highway. The front differential housing and axle are bent on the passenger side. The insurance adjuster put a new Mopar axle housing and passenger side axle in his estimate. So I'm considering going ahead and buying a complete ring and pinion kit and swapping my gears over to 4.88's or 5.13's from the stock 3.73's (since I'm running 35 inch tires). I just noticed that Quadratec has two complete kits available (Alloy USE and G2) but the G2 kit is a good bit less expensive and includes differential covers. I just want to make sure they are decent. The JKU's off roading is limited to muddy roads and fields basically, no hard core stuff.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

They are far better than the OEM housing. If your using money from Insurance to buy a housing, I would add a bit and get myself into a strongly discounted (by way of that insurance) axle that will serve me better over time. Teraflex has a Tera30 and Tera44 housing that is affordable as well, and made to accept your OEM internals.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandell
I should have been a little more specific. This is what I'm dealing with. Our JKU was hit last week on the highway. The front differential housing and axle are bent on the passenger side. The insurance adjuster put a new Mopar axle housing and passenger side axle in his estimate. So I'm considering going ahead and buying a complete ring and pinion kit and swapping my gears over to 4.88's or 5.13's from the stock 3.73's (since I'm running 35 inch tires). I just noticed that Quadratec has two complete kits available (Alloy USE and G2) but the G2 kit is a good bit less expensive and includes differential covers. I just want to make sure they are decent. The JKU's off roading is limited to muddy roads and fields basically, no hard core stuff.

So you're really asking about Ring & Pinion, not axle shafts or axle housings.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Really, I was asking about all of the above. I kinda figured the housings would be pretty similar (with the exception of any extra gusseting or trusses) but my main concern is the ring and pinion gears and axle.
A complete, regeared, ready to bolt in front differential sounds great, if the price is right of course. That way all I would have to do is regear the rear to match. A local shop told me today that used OEM housings in our area are selling for almost as much as aftermarket units!
Is the Teraflex unit the best value for an aftermarket Dana 30? Who has the best price on them?

Last edited by Wandell; 01-10-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

You can call 4WD and get a Spicer Ultimate 44 loaded with locker, alloy shafts and gears of your choice sitting on your porch for around $3500 (maybe less, call (330) 482-6279 and ask for Sara Hobbs, tell her Larry said to call). My buddy just got one from her a couple months ago for his 2014 JK. It is a direct swap, no modifications, just swap the outer knuckles/brakes from your old axle and your up and running.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by larry0071
You can call 4WD and get a Spicer Ultimate 44 loaded with locker, alloy shafts and gears of your choice sitting on your porch for around $3500 (maybe less, call (330) 482-6279 and ask for Sara Hobbs, tell her Larry said to call). My buddy just got one from her a couple months ago for his 2014 JK. It is a direct swap, no modifications, just swap the outer knuckles/brakes from your old axle and your up and running.
Thanks! The Dana Spicer Ultimate 44 looks like a good option. I just read some reviews on it. It appears it's not built to the extreme for hardcore use, but it would still be an upgrade from my Dana 30. So this would be a direct bolt in for my 2011 JKU and would work with all the electronics?
Also, I'm under the impression that since I have 3.73 gears all I'd have to do out back is purchase a matching ring and pinion (probably 5.13's) with a minor installation kit and I'm good to go?
My concern is that I buy an aftermarket front axle and then the shop finds more damage when they go to install it. The front passenger tire took the impact which was hard enough to bend the axle housing and shear the shaft off the steering box! My drag link with the pitman arm attatched is laying on the ground! Of course, price is a concern also since I'm dealing with insurance.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Made in China keeps the cost down.
Really?
I mean, mine are bought and in, so, it's moot for me, but I was told the G2 placer axles were US made...
I know they have 2 lines, one more economical than the placer... torx or something?

So, I've gone and done the rears, but, fronts will be up next, so, who is making axles in the US?

Last edited by Mike H.; 01-11-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Are G2 Axle high quality?