Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gap between fender liner and stock fender flares - mud trap

Old 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap between fender liner and stock fender flares - mud trap

I have 35" tires with the 3" lift and the tires end up splashing significant amounts of mud up the gap between the fender liners and the stock fender flares. Jeep made a 3" wide gap there (both front and rear - maybe where mud flaps are suppose to go?). Mud packs in the gap so even after a good car wash you have to specifically hose out between the fender flares and the liner to get out the packed mud. I don't want to go to flat fenders, as I like the stock look, and mud flaps would break off on the trails, Other than making a custom sheet metal filler, are there any available caps to fill this area?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In all my time on the forums, I've never heard a complaint about this.

Stay out of the mud and you'll be all set. Most of us don't even have stock liners. Mud gets everywhere. Shoot, most have permanent mud in our jeeps.

If you don't like the extra cleaning after wheeling in mud, check out a Toyota FJ or Hummer H2.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Go buy a cheap power washer from Lowes or Home Depot , or as poster above me said stay out of the mud.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.jay
Go buy a cheap power washer from Lowes or Home Depot , or as poster above me said stay out of the mud.
I picked up a cheap one from Lowe's. It is a small green in color one. Might even try trimming the flares too.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I have pressure washer and don't mind at all washing off mud after fun on the trail. I don't need a Hummer or Toyota but thanks for the thoughtful and intelligent advice.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. You're probably going to have to custom make something to keep the mud out. That's half the fun of owning these things... modding.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you can buy metal cloaks inner fenders liners that will help.

JK Replacement Aluminum Inner Fender Set

Quick Reply: Gap between fender liner and stock fender flares - mud trap