Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Pro mounting

Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Pro mounting

Wife bought me a Go Pro Hero 3+. I want to mount in the front or rear corner of the Jeep with an extension about 3' or so, so I can have the camera facing forward or rear with the JK in view. I've had a hard time searching for something to attach it to the jeep that will get the result I want. Any one have any idea. I did a search on the forum and came up with nothing.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

You could try a "Helmet Extension Kit". Found one from Target for $20. If you used the suction cup mount along with the extender you might have the angle that you are looking for.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elgraves
You could try a "Helmet Extension Kit". Found one from Target for $20. If you used the suction cup mount along with the extender you might have the angle that you are looking for.
I ordered two of them. I got a mount for my brush guard up front. Not sure how I'm gonna mount it in back, but I want it to be solid. I'll post how it comes out when the parts get here.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a couple threads to check out.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-ideas-250167/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-gopro-180179/
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

I probably have every mount they make other than the dog mount and the 3d case...

The best Jeep one in my experience is the one that snaps into the standard base and is like 18" long and you just bend it around to the side of your Jeep with camera facing forward

Makes nice picture with the side of the Jeep in the frame yet pretty well out of the way, plus you can check its stays in the rear view
Old 02-26-2015, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I probably have every mount they make other than the dog mount and the 3d case... The best Jeep one in my experience is the one that snaps into the standard base and is like 18" long and you just bend it around to the side of your Jeep with camera facing forward Makes nice picture with the side of the Jeep in the frame yet pretty well out of the way, plus you can check its stays in the rear view
I wanna get the side and both tires in view. I hope those extensions I ordered come in this weekend and I'll shoot some test videos.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BeachJK
I wanna get the side and both tires in view. I hope those extensions I ordered come in this weekend and I'll shoot some test videos.
That's asking for a lot

If you mount the one from go pro and if you use the really wide view angle it should show quite a bit of your Jeep

The best mounting place I've found for the back is the top of one of the rear light pods

With a standard flat mount and then the flexible arm you will get a lot of the action

I guess if you mounted it on the edge of your rear bumper and had the arm go back and to the side a bit, you might catch some of the rear tire
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

My experiences (with older GoPros) is that if the camera can vibrate as you're driving, that the resulting videos will be very poor quality (unusable by my slightly elevated standards). The problem is--and this may not be so with newer GoPros--the video comes out like Jello. That is an artifact of the digital imaging trying to translate a successively shifting scenes into individual frames. Before you spend money on this project, you might want to cobble something simple together and see if that's an issue for you. Maybe you could stick a mount on the end of a wood stick, then just bind that tightly somehow to your Jeep and give it a whirl. Just a suggestion before you spend money on something you might end up abandoning.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
My experiences (with older GoPros) is that if the camera can vibrate as you're driving, that the resulting videos will be very poor quality (unusable by my slightly elevated standards). The problem is--and this may not be so with newer GoPros--the video comes out like Jello. That is an artifact of the digital imaging trying to translate a successively shifting scenes into individual frames. Before you spend money on this project, you might want to cobble something simple together and see if that's an issue for you. Maybe you could stick a mount on the end of a wood stick, then just bind that tightly somehow to your Jeep and give it a whirl. Just a suggestion before you spend money on something you might end up abandoning.
I have 3 of the v3 go pros and I've never seen any vibration like that

I would definitely NOT recommend anything rigid sticking out on a moving Jeep

I am an indie filmmaker and I've hung big ticket cameras off of vehicles with special vacuum suction cups but that was either on very quiet back roads or closed off roads

The semi flexible go pro mount is pretty safe, it would just bend out of the way, that said I still put a tether on it, goto a place that sells Rock climbing ropes

They have stuff that looks like medium sized string and it can hold as much as 40-60 pounds before it breaks, just tie that to the camera case and the other end to Jeep

Just make sure it's not flapping around both for acoustics and it keeps it from getting in front of lens
Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

I've shot a couple of videos with my new GoPro so far and used several different locations during my trail runs just to keep it interesting. I've shot from the middle of the dash, on the driver door under the mirror, at the top corner of the windshield, and behind the rear door. My next trip, I plan to use a pole and get some shots out the window in hope of getting that third person view. My favorite shots are when someone is outside the Jeep filming me, but since that isn't always possible, I'm hoping the pole out the window will at least be close. I also like the shots with the camera mounted up by the speaker bar aimed out the windshield so you can see the back of the driver/passenger bouncing around.

I honestly enjoy the videos where the camera shoots from different angles/locations the best. Not just stuck in one place the whole time. Just my

Quick Reply: Go Pro mounting