Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going up to 40'

Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow Jk'rs,
I own a 08 unlimited Sahara. My mechanical upgrades are: 17" wheels, 35" general a/t's, 4" lift with rubicon express track bars front/rear, rubicon express reverse drag link, control arm extensions, same old stock gears (I know that's crazy but it works). For my engine I have an AFE cold air intake and throttle body, flashpac Superchips. To finish I have EVO 1/4 pounder front bumper/stinger, smittybuilt 10,000 winch and EVO Rock sliders/rock skins.this is pretty much all of it. Considering what I have it's not too bad off road. I usually make all the trails I've been on...so far. My gas mileage is not the greatest of course but I do understand that it's a wrangler, not only that my gears aren't up to par and did I say it's a wrangler, not practical for commuting. It's built for off Roadin and it does it well for what it has. With all of that being said, when my tires that I have on it now wear out I want to switch to 40's. In your opinion what should I get first, bare minimum wise. You see I want to build it up slowly because my cash is just the Sam. I do want to put the 40's on asap after my tires I have now go. If I bought the 40's now what should I add bare minimum before I install them. Last question will my engine turn this huge tires and if not should I go with a supercharger or a whole engine swap? Remember bare minimum. Thanks for your opinions and yes I can take constructive criticism.

Last edited by Hrdtyme; 05-30-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Axles...
Old 05-30-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To push those huge tires around offroad, I immediately think drive train. You will need gearing, axle shafts, lockers, driveshafts and if you do get those big meats trucking down the highway you're going to need to be able to stop them. Big brake upgrade will be needed.

Might as well do full D60s.

On a budget, don't go 40s.

37s would be more manageable, but would also need the same list as above, but reinforce your axles, steering and braking.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
To push those huge tires around offroad, I immediately think drive train. You will need gearing, axle shafts, lockers, driveshafts and if you do get those big meats trucking down the highway you're going to need to be able to stop them. Big brake upgrade will be needed.

Might as well do full D60s.

On a budget, don't go 40s.

37s would be more manageable, but would also need the same list as above, but reinforce your axles, steering and braking.
Sell the jeep and get an out the door buggy for 50k with an ls motor and d60s and 40s and such? That or you mostly likely dont need 40s...
Old 05-30-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

There is no bare minimum to run 40's, especially if you want to wheel . You need axles, driveshafts, brakes, and engine power. Cheapest way would be mopar Dana 60's , 1350 driveshafts , brake hardware, and a tuner to correct axle ratios and tire diameter. I'm sure there's more you'll want to do over what you just need.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Sell the jeep and get an out the door buggy for 50k with an ls motor and d60s and 40s and such? That or you mostly likely dont need 40s...
Then add the extra cost of a second vehicle to commute right?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Axles...
Thanks
Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Then add the extra cost of a second vehicle to commute right?
Depends on the state...and also to my point he prolly doesnt need 40s...
Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
To push those huge tires around offroad, I immediately think drive train. You will need gearing, axle shafts, lockers, driveshafts and if you do get those big meats trucking down the highway you're going to need to be able to stop them. Big brake upgrade will be needed. Might as well do full D60s. On a budget, don't go 40s. 37s would be more manageable, but would also need the same list as above, but reinforce your axles, steering and braking.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. That's a whole new vehicle. This year I wanted to either get a street motorcycle or JK upgrades. My wife said go with upgrade son Jk. I don't think she knows the cost of upgrades. I guess it's safer to upgrade jk rather than buy a motorcycle but motorcycle may be less expensive. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
sell the jeep, c'mon are you serious, LMBO. You mean keep the jeep and buy a buggy. Buggies are awesome but no way I'm selling my rig, even if I have to stay with what I have.

Quick Reply: Going up to 40'