Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going up to 40'

Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
To push those huge tires around offroad, I immediately think drive train. You will need gearing, axle shafts, lockers, driveshafts and if you do get those big meats trucking down the highway you're going to need to be able to stop them. Big brake upgrade will be needed. Might as well do full D60s. On a budget, don't go 40s. 37s would be more manageable, but would also need the same list as above, but reinforce your axles, steering and braking.
You're right on that, thanks!
Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
There is no bare minimum to run 40's, especially if you want to wheel . You need axles, driveshafts, brakes, and engine power. Cheapest way would be mopar Dana 60's , 1350 driveshafts , brake hardware, and a tuner to correct axle ratios and tire diameter. I'm sure there's more you'll want to do over what you just need.
perfect, thx
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
Depends on the state...and also to my point he prolly doesnt need 40s...
You're right I don't need 40's but it would be nice to have a set.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Realistically plan on dropping about $12-$20k to make the upgrade to 40's. There really is not a good way to go 40's a piece at a time while you are saving up. They require so much that it is best to just do it all at once. You need axle for strength and for width for steering and for stuffing the tires. I would look for at least a 68" WMS and 3" bs wheels. You will need new wheels as 5x5 bolt pattern will not fit ton hubs. Driveshafts will be needed and sized to the new axles. Unless you can find some really cheap axles and can build them yourself you are looking at $10-$12k for tires, wheels, axles, and driveshafts and there will likely bet other things you are going to have to do depending on how you do your suspension set up.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Realistically plan on dropping about $12-$20k to make the upgrade to 40's. There really is not a good way to go 40's a piece at a time while you are saving up. They require so much that it is best to just do it all at once. You need axle for strength and for width for steering and for stuffing the tires. I would look for at least a 68" WMS and 3" bs wheels. You will need new wheels as 5x5 bolt pattern will not fit ton hubs. Driveshafts will be needed and sized to the new axles. Unless you can find some really cheap axles and can build them yourself you are looking at $10-$12k for tires, wheels, axles, and driveshafts and there will likely bet other things you are going to have to do depending on how you do your suspension set up.
Great advice thanks. I thought it would cost at least 15 grand. Now I have to think to myself if it is worth it.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jeeps

I think you should Try 38's or 37's First. But honestly you need to ride the trails with someone or a group and find out what your limitations are. One of the Most important mods is lockers. They will allow you to tackle obstacles that cannot be done easily with open/open. I think you will find that most trails can be done with 35's. If you going for the look and don't want to feel Inferior to Lifted trucks.... thats not going to happen... there will always be a truck that is stupid lifted on 40's that is completely useless off the pavement. I know its frustrating that a stock Nissan Titan is Taller when your stopped at a light, Even with 4" lift and 35's but this is the world we live in. Trucks are in the minor league, Jeeps are in the Majors. You will find on the trails fewer trucks than Jeeps thats because they can't hang.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On a side note I would rather Wheel a Jeep on 37's Locked/Locked than a Jeep on 40's with Open/Open.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll give you my .02. I would suggest to go 2 door and run 37s. I have ran 35s, 37s, and now 40s with my 4 door. A 2 door with 37s can go most all the same places a 4 door with 40s can. The 4 door/40s will climb a little steeper maybe but not by much, especially if the 2 door/37s is sitting just right and stretched a few inches. Sell the 4 door, get a 2 door and run 37s. If you have plenty of money go for it and you will love it. I definitely love mine and it's a lot of fun.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T&ERun
I'll give you my .02. I would suggest to go 2 door and run 37s. I have ran 35s, 37s, and now 40s with my 4 door. A 2 door with 37s can go most all the same places a 4 door with 40s can. The 4 door/40s will climb a little steeper maybe but not by much, especially if the 2 door/37s is sitting just right and stretched a few inches. Sell the 4 door, get a 2 door and run 37s. If you have plenty of money go for it and you will love it. I definitely love mine and it's a lot of fun.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrdtyme
Now I have to think to myself if it is worth it.
It's totally worth it, but it's not going to be cheap and cutting corners is really not an option if you want something reliable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40's.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	648417  

Quick Reply: Going up to 40'