Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?

Just as the title says... I did searching and found so many opinions I felt I was just back in the beginning. But I never found these two compared side by side.

I'm getting the new tires this week and I thought I was set on the nitto trail grapplers (looks played a big part) but then I keep hearing how they wear fast and too heavy, MTR w/ Kevlar got lots of good talk and some bad so opinions are great so spit them out!

My rig is a light off road use mostly DD here in Houston , we do get quite a bit of rain...but I would like to see more mud and still take it out to the beach sand. This January ill be playing in Colorado snow too. Looking for great tread life for a MT, a well performing tire that still handles great as a DD with city/highway, and a real aggressive look. Gracias!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Year

I have seen the MT/R's in action and can vouch for their reliability. I have seen zero Nitto Trail Grapplers on the trail, so I can't say how well they perform. If it was me, I would jump on the Goodyears if i had to choose between the two.
I'm on my second set of Toyo M/T's and have had nothing but good things to say about them. I got 35,000 miles out of the 33*12.50*15's on my 1997 TJ, and I was so impressed by their performance I put a set 35*12.50*17's on my JK.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have owned both sets of tires and the mtr/k is my choice because of the load range c vs the d on the trail grapplers. Much better ride and tire flex when aired down
Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

I really like the Tera Grapplers as they are so quiet on the road and give great traction both on and off road for an All Terrain.

Tires threads are as bad as oil threads and is a very personal decision on what an individual likes and wants to pay for.

Good luck in finding your great tire at a moderate price.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 AM
JK Junkie

I have no issues with my MTRs off road. On road, the 35x12.5x17s are too light of a tire for a JK. At the proper inflation rate to promote good treadwear they bounce on road, and eliminating the bounce they are overinflated. They just don't match up well with the spring rates and I would recommend looking into one of there tires that has a higher service description than the 111 found on the 35x12.5x17s.

Additionally, these tires are not easy to balance. I have about 3x the weight I had on my Toyo MTs. One tire out of the gate wouldn't balance at all and I need to opt for dynabeads until it had some wear. I also noticed that several of the tires had chunks of tread cut away to get them close to being balanced before they were even balanced.

So again, off road, no issues. On road and at minimum I would look for a different size than the 35x12.5x17s that carries a higher service description.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

When my mud grapplers wear out (finally- 30k and still over half tread), I'm getting trail grapplers. Nittos are great!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

MTR's have um and love um. If I were to swap them out for new tires they'd either be a larger size MTR or I'd go to toyo's. Not really a fan of the Nitto's looks or the fact that they do wear out quick.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

I went Nitto Trail Grappler M/T at 35x12.5x17. LOVE them !!! The only 'complaint' is that they really are the quietest mud tire EVER. Really aggressive look with very little road noise! I do agree with the above post though... Really end up being personal choice. So... If it's a daily driver & you like the looks... Trail performance will be fine either way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3458162751.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	105995  
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look at mud grapplers or toyo open country mt's.

I would pick neither. Mtr/k are causing some serious balancing issues and the service rating doesn't work with our jeeps well.

I don't know much about the trail graps other then I would pick the mud grapplers over them.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

First pic didn't do the tire justice. Here:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-752707403.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	105996   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3165312799.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	105997  

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?