Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?

Old 10-03-2015, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the comments and good suggestions I decided to solve the problem scientifically. I took a ride down to my local Discount Tire location, and solicited the help of their lead tire technician.

The key tools used for this experiment are as follows:

Zieis TRS certified digital platform scale accuracy 0.02 lbs certified august 2015 LFT
Hunter GSP9700
Accutire MS-4021B digital tire pressure gauge

Objectives of the experiment:

Obtain an average weight of the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar and Nitto Trail Grappler in 37x12.5x17 independantly of manufacturer listed specs.
Obtain an average overall diameter of the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar and Nitto Trail Grappler in 37x12.5x17 independantly of the manufacturers listed specs.
Obtain an average of required weights needed to balance the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar and Nitto Trail Grappler in 37x12.5x17 independently of the manufacturers listed specs.

The test was performed on 3 randomly selected tires of each brand as was available in dealer stock.

Control: Weight) NIST Class F 50 pound test weight. Diameter and balance) Hunter GSP9700 calibrated Dec 2014. Outside diameters were tested while mounted to a control wheel Pro Comp Alloy Series 69 wheel 17x9"/5x127mm, each test was conducted using the same wheel. All tires were inflated to 50 psi.

environmental conditions at the time and location of testing Barometric Pressure 29.97 inches, Relative humidity 38%, Elevation ASL 5341 Feet, Mean Temperature 77 degrees Farenheight

__________________________________________________ ____

Goodyear MT/R Kevlar

Weight
Tire 1 - 76.2
Tire 2 - 75.4
Tire 3 - 75.8
**Tire 4 - 76.9**
Manufacturer listed weight 73 pounds

Nitto Trail Grappler

Weight
Tire 1 - 79.7
Tire 2 - 80.1
Tire 3 - 80.9
Average weight as tested 80.23 pounds
Manufacturer listed weight 83.77 pounds

Clearly there is a disconnect between what the manufacturers list as weight and actual. The Nitto Trail Grappler as tested here were consistantly lighter, whereas the Goodyear MT/R was much heavier than claimed. The reality is only an average of 5 pounds difference between them, in the Jeep world I find this insignificant.

It may be useful to note that in March 2011 Robin Stover of Four Wheeler Network tested the Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.5x17 and noted weights of 81.6, 82.6, 80.2, 81.6 pounds. An average of 81.5 pounds.

Averaging all tested tire data pertaining to weight (9 independent sources with a total of 35 tires) we can deduce the average weight of the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 37x12.5x17 is 81.01 pounds.

No further test data was located regarding the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 37x12.5x17

__________________________________________________ _____

Goodyear MT/R Kevlar

Diameter
Tire 1 - 36.2
Tire 2 - 36.6
Tire 3 - 36.7
**Tire 4 - 36.6**
Average outside diameter as tested 36.5 inches
Manufacturers listed diameter 36.8 inches

Nitto Trail Grappler
Tire 1 - 37.1
Tire 2 - 36.9
Tire 3 - 37.0
Average outside diameter 37 inches
Manufacturers listed diameter 36.85 inches

__________________________________________________ _____

Balancing the tires can be simply summarized:

The Goodyears required an average of 13 ounces to balance, and even then one tire had to be removed from the testing as it would not balance within acceptable standards set by Discount Tire, listed as Tire 4 now in the testing and notated by **** Tire 4 did balance with 11 ounces of weights. Across 4 tires as tested none of them balanced with any degree of precision.

The Nitto tires all balanced using an average of 3 ounces of weight, and did so with a high level of precision.

__________________________________________________ ____

In conclusion I believe science has provided an answer to the previously posed questions. Without question personal opinion will play some part in the descision for others, I however prefer to rely on empirical evidence.
Then of course there is price to consider, the Nitto Trail Grappler come in at $392.30 USD, and the Goodyear MT/R's $364.10 USD.
But when you consider Nitto's 40,000 treadwear warranty on the Trail Grappler, vs Goodyear having none, well that can change things.
Some will shake their fists and cry out saying that the Nitto Trail Grappler cant possibly out perform the Goodyear, to which I contend that the argument then becomes situational and subject he to the actual conditions at hand. The Nitto Trail Grappler M/T isnt designed to win any mud bog contests, its construction is far better suited for high performance in rock, dirt, sand, and on the pavement and a good choice for a daily driver as well as off road.
The Goodyear MT/R is a fine tire that has managed to fall into the "do all" category and even has a super sticky competition only version for serious off road. The consumer version ( we did not test the competition version) tends to lack in construction with regards to balancing which I suspect is due to a softer sidewall.

Having run MT/R's and Nitto's previously, I believe i'll go with the "Tire of Steel" as I called them. Nitto Trail Grapplers it is folks. After all, whats the worst that can happen...how sad it would be if I had to use my winch because I got stuck!

P.S. Thanks for all the input. And please forgive any typos, its creeping past 1am here but I wanted to get this out before I hit the trails again in a few hours. I'll be starting a new thread when I get off the trails Sunday "OMG what beadlocks should I get!" please toss your two cents in.

David
Warrior Jeep Team
Old 10-04-2015, 02:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info.... I currently run the 37" MTR's I've previously ran Mickey Thompson ATZ's and MTZ's and still run 35" Duratracs come winter....
I would have loved that comparison test between the Nitto and the Toyo open country mt(cause that's the next tire I'm considering in 37") .... Anyways I hope you are happy with your choice

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?