Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 AM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look into GY DuraTrac's. They look good, nice tread design for DD, good reviews for snow use... I run KM2's and I think the only downside is light snow/ice.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

was surprised to find out how many balancing issues there are on the MT/R's its a real big turn off. I like the duratracs but just wanted a bigger size than my 275/70/17 and I was hoping they had at least a 295 or 305.

I may be looking at the Nitto's then. The Discount Tire I deal with is giving me 200 cash back for my old Dunlops...buuuut goodyear is offering an 80 dollar rebate..damn
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also thing considered is I need these tires to perform extremely well as my DD on the highway
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i have the Trail Grapplers and i like them a bunch so far. I can't tell you on how fast they will wear. I see some people say they wear way to fast but I really haven't seen or read of anyone (maybe i missed it somewhere in a thread) that they have ran a complete set of MTR/K's then ran the Trail Grapplers. Then i would ask if one outlasted the other, were the tires rotated on the same schedule. Like you said, i have yet to see a side by side comparison. One guy that ran both tires till they were wore out. And did they rotate the tires on the same schedule. Rotating mud tires is a MUST!!! Also i forgot, did they chalk test them to get the right contact patch. An over or under inflated tire is gonna wear funny. and so on....you all know the stuff its been posted many times.

I do know i like my Trail Grapplers, I think they ride ok but i'm at 28 psi. I've only had them for less than 3000 miles. So I can't say much as to the wear on them. I haven't had them offroad yet either, but they do perform well on the road and in the rain. No snow yet.

Which ever one you get you're gonna like them i think. They are both good respectable company's.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Which tire has the best life? I'm in the same boat between these two tires and also the Toyo... I want these tires to last as a DD on road but also want them to perform off road. Is it true that the Nittos wear fast? Do the MT/R last longer or wear better?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon1024
Which tire has the best life? I'm in the same boat between these two tires and also the Toyo... I want these tires to last as a DD on road but also want them to perform off road. Is it true that the Nittos wear fast? Do the MT/R last longer or wear better?
Get the nittos or toyos. The only thing the mtr has on these is that they are lighter...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

The Trail Grappler weighs 80 in the 35. Balances easy and wears well. I have sold mine to go to a 37, that being the ONLY reason. By far the best MT I have owned. 616fun bought them and we'll be doing his lift this week.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Buy the Goodyears, it's hard enough being an american in the metals industry without chinese steel going into mud tires. I would never tell someone to buy anything but what they want but if you're going to spend about the same wouldn't you rather it keep a few Americans working.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeep2007
The Trail Grappler weighs 80 in the 35. Balances easy and wears well. I have sold mine to go to a 37, that being the ONLY reason. By far the best MT I have owned. 616fun bought them and we'll be doing his lift this week.
Well my decision would have been made if someone didn't beat me to buying yours............................................. .................................................. ..................... toyo are out of the question. they are too expensive... Ive heard that the kevlars have a better life... is this true?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

I was sold on the Nitto Trail Grapplers and I still LOVE them....I only got the Cooper STT's because I got a great deal on them! (but I love them too!)

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?