Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Cooper Stt
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default how are they in the wet?

Originally Posted by NickJK
First pic didn't do the tire justice. Here:

Thanks for this thread - and your NITTO's do indeed look awesome!

Now that you've had them on your Wrangler for a bit - how are they on wet pavement? Several different mud terrain tires I've had in the past have been really squirrely - and I was curious how these NITTO's behave when rain starts & the road gets wet.

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mm77

Thanks for this thread - and your NITTO's do indeed look awesome!

Now that you've had them on your Wrangler for a bit - how are they on wet pavement? Several different mud terrain tires I've had in the past have been really squirrely - and I was curious how these NITTO's behave when rain starts & the road gets wet.

Thanks again!
Have 9000 miles on my nittos. Still look new and unless something changes fast it looks like ill get 50k easy on em. No probs with rain. Drove through pass couple months ago during monsoon type rain. Standing water on roads windshield wipers full blast speeds reduced by dot to 35 in a 60. I was doing 50 no prob (I know I shoulda slowed down) at summit of pass it snowed like 2 feet. No probs didn't shift into 4x4. Been snow wheeling in 3 feet of snow and made it the furthest. Draw back is they are heavy. I was thinking about mtr next time do to weight benefits but so far mud rain and snow haven't slowed the nittos down and they wearing very well
Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Both are great tires and are awesome on the trail. I lean towards MTRs personally. In the rain MTRs aren't all that sticky but do better than some other off road tires I have owned on my jeeps. I can't vouch for Nittos. As mud (or even sand) tires the MTRs are ok but like to dig fast. I use mine primarily for rocks, dirt, sand, and highway. The few friends I have running Nittos I can hear them coming down the road.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reams
Buy the Goodyears, it's hard enough being an american in the metals industry without chinese steel going into mud tires. I would never tell someone to buy anything but what they want but if you're going to spend about the same wouldn't you rather it keep a few Americans working.
My Trail Graps say "Made in the USA" on the side.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

Have 9000 miles on my nittos. Still look new and unless something changes fast it looks like ill get 50k easy on em. No probs with rain. Drove through pass couple months ago during monsoon type rain. Standing water on roads windshield wipers full blast speeds reduced by dot to 35 in a 60. I was doing 50 no prob (I know I shoulda slowed down) at summit of pass it snowed like 2 feet. No probs didn't shift into 4x4. Been snow wheeling in 3 feet of snow and made it the furthest. Draw back is they are heavy. I was thinking about mtr next time do to weight benefits but so far mud rain and snow haven't slowed the nittos down and they wearing very well
X2. My Nittos do great in the rain, and are wearing good.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 15k on a set of 37" nitto trail grapplers and I have been very pleased with them. They have worn well so far and are definitely quiet for a mt. They do equally as we'll on road as they do offroad. The only con is they are stiff, I'm running them at 22psi on my rig. My rig is a daily driver too.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

I have had my Nitto Trail Grapplers for a little over 3 years and really like them. They have 40k on them and could get another 10 or 15k out of them easy, but will be upgrading to 37 MTRs soon. Will post later to compare
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Trail Grapplers and they have been the Best MT tires I have had so far. They took almost zero weight to balance and have stayed like that without issue. I have no problem with the way they are wearing and should easily get 50k miles out of them. They are also close to half the price of the MTR-K tires you are comparing them too. So you could buy them twice for what you would pay for the MTR-k almost. I think they ride better then the MTR-K as well. I keep mine at about 28psi for on-road and about 12 psi off-road. The only real advantage if you want to call it that is that the MTR-k are light. The only reason I would even consider a light tire is because I couldnt lift it up to change a flat myself otherwise it makes no difference.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Nitto "Terra" Grapplers on my JKU that I use very similarly to you - DD with the occasional off-road (mud, rocks, sand). I had them put on about 6,000 miles ago and the tread is great - I saw the warnings about the life issue but I've had none whatsoever.

For my DD portion rain is my biggest concern since the JKU is light, I have a 6-speed so the torque on acceleration makes me spin my wheels (with my heavy foot). They were FABULOUS the first 5k but now I get a slide every now and again, but NOTHING like the stock and I'm not concerned at all at high speeds in them.

They are VERY quiet (I used to have BFG's as a comparison) and I have no qualms with the road noise at all.

In the mud they are OK - but the Terra's are a true all-terrain, not the mud terrain that the ones you are considering. Like any tire, they will eventually get clogged, but I've had little if any issue in deep, thick and sloppy mud. Sand and rocks they were fabulous.

I spent two months torturing myself over the exact same conundrum you are in - go with your gut and be happy. I ended up with the "Terras" because my dealer said to me "you are using it as a DD 95% of the time - buy for that." No regrets.

I get what I need out of the Terras, but the Muds are cool as hell.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR or Nitto trail grapplers?