Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasing teraflex sway bar links

Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no pressure like you may see with the control arms, use a needle adaptor, works perfectly.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Broke one of the zerk fittings on mine the first time I greased them ....

Still need to replace it since I haven't been able to grease it since ...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

How often you'll need to need to hit them with grease would depend how frequently your in the water.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the help folks, I am looking forward to installing the lift tomorrow.

It sounds to me that Teraflex has an obvious issue with the zerk fitting they are using if so many people are having issues with them. I have never broke a zerk fitting in my life, and these things are snapping the first time they are used...something aint right
Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Greasing teraflex sway bar links

U want to use an all purpose chassis lube that goes in a hand operated pump gun. It comes in a tube that looks like calk.there is cheap stuff and expensive stuff so use choose. So u need grease and a grease gun.

Sent from my Droid
Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joshzilla
I know this is going to come off as a smart ass remark but, "grease in a grease gun" is the right answer? There are about fifty different types of grease and I didn't know it was critical if the correct one was used. I read on a corvette forum that guys are using lithium or another grease containing teflon. I'm gonna PM TF rep will post if they give some insite.
Josh, please do that, that would be great!

Thnaks
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Waiting
Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Ok, I have a few issues with these Teraflex sway bar links and I think they are genuine concerns.

First, the zerk fitting are absolute garbage and the first one I touched broke. Never in my life have I broke a zerk fitting and these snapped like a tooth pick. JUNK!!!!

Second, the zerk fitting are to long and extend to far into the swar bar bushing not allowing it to spin freely, I see this being an issue as this will wear out the bushing in that spot where the zerk fitting is. AGAIN, JUNK!!!!

Third, they supply hardware for the sway bar side of the links, that in my opinion are to short. I like seeing threads on the other side of a nut and these clearly are to short. Then, they dont supply hardware for the bottom, and you have to re-use the factory hardware which is crazy long.

Sorry Teraflex, but this is unfortunately a bad kit in my opinion and hasnt been thought out very well.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Thanks Josh, yeah it was frustrating. I will get some better zerk fittings, but for the time being I just removed them. I also switched the hardware around for the sway bar links and they fit way better opposite of how they recommend.

All in all in ended up ok. I had a buddy come over and give me a hand so it made for a great day.

I am happy now it is done, but TF needs to look at this as it is an issue.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed!
The hardware on the top of my sway bar do not secure all the way through the nut. :(
I bought some lock nuts and installed them.

The Zerk broke, and grease is always making a mess on the link. I'm guessing it's the AZ heat.

The sway bar actually wiggles when i grab it, like the bushing is too small for the link. I can feel it in the drivers side floor board when driving. I carry the grease gun in my jeep...not cool for a maintainace item.

A little disappointed, but it is a Jeep

Quick Reply: Greasing teraflex sway bar links