Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Greatest Tire Question Ever Asked

Old 12-29-2016, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Greatest Tire Question Ever Asked

I'm looking for AT/RT tire recommendations. I'm not a fan of the 35 12.50 17 MT's I'm running. I'm not also not opposed to moving down into a "tall skinny" type but I don't know much about the size. As most threads go off into the metric sizes which confuses you if you don't work at a tire shop.

What I want:
-semi aggressive tread pattern
-lightweight (performance and mpg, I can dream)
-quiet
-not to track all over, find every bump in the road and have that sub 10mph vibration

Last edited by jacumja; 12-29-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Not to derail your thread or make it lose steam, but, umm .... what?

Are you asking for suggestions for your next tire? Links to a few of the hundreds of metric tire conversion charts or calculators that a 10 second search will bring up? Suggestions for a tire size to try next? Just telling us what you run so you can post a selfie of your jeep?

Ah, you edited while I was typing. You are looking for a skinnier tire. Same height? Taller?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Not to derail your thread but I'm having difficulty following what you're after, maybe the question is too great for my simple mind to follow.

However, here are some equations that will help you convert Metric tire sizes to standard. I prefer Metric because it's a much more accurate measurement provided in millimeters rather than inches.

Just substitute the BOLD numbers for any other metric tire size to get the Standard Size.

Let's say you have a 315/70/R17 tire.
Tire Height (inches)= [(315 x 70%)/25.4]x2 + 17= 34.36in
Tire Width (inches) = 315/25.4= 12.4in
Side wall Height (inches)= =(315x 70%)/25.4= 8.7in
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Not to derail your thread or make it lose steam, but, umm .... what?

Are you asking for suggestions for your next tire? Links to a few of the hundreds of metric tire conversion charts or calculators that a 10 second search will bring up? Suggestions for a tire size to try next? Just telling us what you run so you can post a selfie of your jeep?

Ah, you edited while I was typing. You are looking for a skinnier tire. Same height? Taller?
I'm suggesting I could go that route to improve the road manners I'm currently dealing with. From what I've read. The wider the tire the more it tracks all over the place and finds what seems like every damned spot in the road. I drive the exact same roads every day and I swear the went to crap after the lift and tires
Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Not to derail your thread but I'm having difficulty following what you're after, maybe the question is too great for my simple mind to follow.

However, here are some equations that will help you convert Metric tire sizes to standard. I prefer Metric because it's a much more accurate measurement provided in millimeters rather than inches.

Just substitute the BOLD numbers for any other metric tire size to get the Standard Size.

Let's say you have a 315/70/R17 tire.
Tire Height (inches)= [(315 x 70%)/25.4]x2 + 17= 34.36in
Tire Width (inches) = 315/25.4= 12.4in
Side wall Height (inches)= =(315x 70%)/25.4= 8.7in
Thank you for offering to help but I'm literally Math retarded. I'm not joking or being lazy. I used to walk out of math test's I'd get so pissed off. Had a tutor in college and still couldn't pass high school level algebra. And after reading your chart it now makes perfect sense to me why we just round up in standard. But I get why you like it.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Find a tire that you like and then go straight to the manufacturer's website. They've got all of their tires listed out with sizes (in plain, standard, English numbers) along with the weight.

There are a couple of tall and skinny tires but they're mud tires as I recall. You could always find something like a 235/80-17 (32x9) from a dually truck or the mud tire option will usually be 255/80-17 (33x10). Swamper and (IIRC) bfg make a 34x9.50-----but again---- go to their tire page and check the actual sizes. People have reported 1-2mpg increases with going to the narrower tire.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jacumja
I'm looking for AT/RT tire recommendations. I'm not a fan of the 35 12.50 17 MT's I'm running. I'm not also not opposed to moving down into a "tall skinny" type but I don't know much about the size. As most threads go off into the metric sizes which confuses you if you don't work at a tire shop.

What I want:
-semi aggressive tread pattern
-lightweight (performance and mpg, I can dream)
-quiet
-not to track all over, find every bump in the road and have that sub 10mph vibration
The BFGoodrige K02 AT is great in all the categories you have mentioned. Its quiet light has a semi aggressive pattern ect. I have had nitto mud grapplers and they are super loud and wear bad on the street I ve had just about every mt tire you can get and after all that i went to the K02 AT and will never get anything else they are great on and off the trail and great in the snow just a good tire.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MKPjk08
The BFGoodrige K02 AT is great in all the categories you have mentioned. Its quiet light has a semi aggressive pattern ect. I have had nitto mud grapplers and they are super loud and wear bad on the street I ve had just about every mt tire you can get and after all that i went to the K02 AT and will never get anything else they are great on and off the trail and great in the snow just a good tire.
I am currently running a Nitto Terra Grappler and am getting tired of how heavy and loud these tires are. They have fantastic off-road grip but at 35x12.5r17 they are an E rated tire and not the best suited for my Jeep.

I've been pricing out and thinking about getting the KO2 34x10.5r17 tire. I haven't seen anyone actually post using this tire size but it is a D rated tire which makes me think it would make a great daily / snow tire.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I highly recommend the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They excel at every category you have on your list.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome responses guys, this is exactly what I need. I'm going to list out the tires, add in reviews and list the weight as to help others with these questions as we go.

Quick Reply: The Greatest Tire Question Ever Asked