Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys i need help with my rear diff the original welding on the diff was broked

Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guys i need help with my rear diff the original welding on the diff was broked

Hi guys my jeep jk 2010 4 drs I have got the skyjacker 4 inch lift kit economy kit yesterday I hea red a sound under my car so I take a look and I saw my rear diff original welding was broked any one had the same problem ? Is ot ok if I weld the pice to its original position or I have to change the rear diff?
Here is pictures of my car ;--(

Skyjacker Suspension JK40BPH - Skyjacker 4-5" Economy Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
IMAG0636
IMAG0638
IMAG0637
Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

That's your track bar bracket. Just get it welded back up. You don't need a new diff.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
That's your track bar bracket. Just get it welded back up. You don't need a new diff.
That's bar bracket is installed on the original welding does it have a reason to brake ? I will weld it and make it stronger
Is the reason from the lift kit ?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

A 4 inch lift should come with either a track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar to center the axle housing. It is possible that the lift contributed to the break if you just lifted it without, hard to say. Did you install it yourself?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
A 4 inch lift should come with either a track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar to center the axle housing. It is possible that the lift contributed to the break if you just lifted it without, hard to say. Did you install it yourself?
I installed it with my friend but he didn't install the track bar both if them the rear and the front is this the reason that the bracket welding went off ? I will wild it again and I will order the track bar now
Old 02-28-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

How did you get the bolt back in the track bar hole during the lift? Did you push the whole axle sideways with a ratchet strap or something? Maybe just bad luck.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Usually you can just shake the jeep side to side to center the axle. Take a measurement for the length of your trackbar. Set trackbar to raft length and slip it in. A screw driver can help allighnment the bolts.

Or

You can use a ratchet strap to pull the jeep/axle the direction you need. Get the axle centered. Take measurements and use the crew driver again. It can help if you have someone lean on the jeep to help move it to where you need.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I was asking to see how he did it in case it might have something to do with the welds breaking.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Actually now that I am not trying to look at pictures on my phone, it looks like the track bar bracket is already installed. The Teraflex barcket comes with an extra piece that gets C-clamped to the axle housing, and also has tabs for additional welding. This bracket that you installed does not have that, and the extra lever arm force from the longer bracket might have contributed to the failed welds.

There is a reason most people on this site stay away from Skyjacker.

If you weld it back, make sure you add some extra reinforcement gussets, or get a Teraflex bracket.

Here below you can see why the Teraflex bracket is stronger - bolted in two other places. (Photo is from another part of this site, but the same part is on my jeep)

Click image for larger version

Name:	trackbar bracket.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	534042

Quick Reply: guys i need help with my rear diff the original welding on the diff was broked