Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had 5:13's Installed Recently. Anyone else have a noise in the rear?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had 5:13's Installed Recently. Anyone else have a noise in the rear?

I recently had 5:13's installed and have a 2011 JK Automatic on 35's. I noticed on high speeds when decelerating I hear almost a whining noise coming from the rear and sometimes at slower speeds when decelerating. Curious if this was common.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you replace the bearings? It sounds like the gears may not be set up right, or maybe an issue with the bearings or bearing pre load. I have heard gears whine and still last a long time, but I would take it back to whoever installed them and let them check it out.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Randy's R&P has some diagnostic info:

Technical Help

What is this whirring noise?

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-11-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Did you replace the bearings? It sounds like the gears may not be set up right, or maybe an issue with the bearings or bearing pre load. I have heard gears whine and still last a long time, but I would take it back to whoever installed them and let them check it out.
Thanks. I am going to give them a call tomorrow. They did a rebuild when they did the gears so everything was fresh in there.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Randy's R&P has some diagnostic info: Technical Help
Thank you. It sounds almost like a faint sound of a turbo at times. Was driving me nuts. Figured it was normal but had a feeling it wasn't.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely not normal. Take it back.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did the install? Globex?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154
Who did the install? Globex?
Yes they did

Quick Reply: Had 5:13's Installed Recently. Anyone else have a noise in the rear?