Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone built there own lift kit?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to buy the parts I like individually. No really advanced tech in a Jeep straight axle basic lift kit . A salesman may try to tell you different but they are like politicians for the most part
Old 03-23-2016, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
Has anyone built there own lift kit. As in not buy a kit but all the parts separately from the brands of your choice? If so was it difficult and do you recommend just getting the kit?
Yes, a 3" lift and the specs are in my profile. I pulled what I felt were the best parts from different manufacturers, like I wanted the highest roll center so AEV rear trackbar tower, wanted a 1" rear wheelbase extension so Rockkrawler rear arms, wanted to adjust castor without loosening arms and arms bent so I can run 37"x13.5" wide tires on 4.5" backspacing so synergy front arms, etc...

I don't feel there is one manufacturer that offers the best of everything so I pulled what I felt was the best for each component.

Last edited by Biginboca; 03-23-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Yes, a 3" lift and the specs are in my profile. I pulled what I felt were the best parts from different manufacturers, like I wanted the highest roll center so AEV rear trackbar tower, wanted a 1" rear wheelbase extension so Rockkrawler rear arms, wanted to adjust castor without loosening arms and arms bent so I can run 37"x13.5" wide tires on 4.5" backspacing so synergy front arms, etc...

I don't feel there is one manufacturer that offers the best of everything so I pulled what I felt was the best for each component.

nicely done..
Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Maybe it's just me.... maybe I have some issues that need dealt with.... but that jeep, in that picture, being all bad assed and stuff.... that there makes me horny! Oh. My. God! I just want to rub all up on that sweet as somenabitch!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by larry0071
Maybe it's just me.... maybe I have some issues that need dealt with.... but that jeep, in that picture, being all bad assed and stuff.... that there makes me horny! Oh. My. God! I just want to rub all up on that sweet as somenabitch!
Lmao! Larry, please just stay away from my jeep, lol
Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

HAHA...Mine is a mix & match kit too
I'm running 3.5in Metalcloak springs, Rockkrawler swaybar links and Synergy control arms, tie rod, drag link and track bars. I had some TF stuff on there but have since swapped those out.
I would rather build my kit instead of buying a complete set because sometimes one kit will have one item that is great but crappy or unproven other parts, this way I get what I think are all great parts.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Normally I would say this about a woman.... but... Oh the bad bad things I would to that thing if I got my hands on it! It would never be same after I was done having my way with it!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilop
I bought my wife's jeep with a zone lift and I've steadily replaced parts as I went. I wish I could've convinced her just to have a good shop install a quality lift from the beginning.

Front-TeraFlex LCA's
Bilsteins all around
Rough country discos
Rough country adjustable track bar( Don't buy, flexes way too much)
Kept Zone coils, added a lift puck to front because of bumper sag.
My Sahara JK had a Zone 3 inch lift.... then I bought it and replace just about everything that was included, then had to add some because the zone lift was minimalistic at best.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

better check the door handles before you touch them......
Old 03-23-2016, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kit off the shelf is easier. Do your research and there is nothing wrong with piecing it together.

MC 2.5" springs (soon switching to EVO 3")
OME shocks ( soon switching to Ranch 9k's)
TF front track bar, front sway links, rear track bar bracket, and rear bump stops
OME SS relocation bracket and SS (soon switching to Synergy bracket and back to factory SS)
MC front lower arms
Synergy front bump stops
Crown rear extended brake lines
Mopar rear sway links (11.25" from Dodge 1500)
Adams front 1310

Most parts bought during sales.

Quick Reply: Has anyone built there own lift kit?