Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used the MetalCloak Drop Brackets?

Old 05-24-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have often thought about these brackets when I run over a series of speed bumps at my son's school. So, here's my question, Right now my front suspension feels harsh but so does the rear. (about the same over the bumps) The angle of the rear arms should be more accommodating than the front and it is still as harsh as the front. I am guessing that the drop brackets wouldn't make THAT much difference. I have a 3.5 metal cloak game changer with custom valved fox shocks and it rides great but the speed bumps are still rough.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dlampe
I have often thought about these brackets when I run over a series of speed bumps at my son's school. So, here's my question, Right now my front suspension feels harsh but so does the rear. (about the same over the bumps) The angle of the rear arms should be more accommodating than the front and it is still as harsh as the front. I am guessing that the drop brackets wouldn't make THAT much difference. I have a 3.5 metal cloak game changer with custom valved fox shocks and it rides great but the speed bumps are still rough.
Drive slower over them seriously, the drop brackets would help but why lose the clearance?
Do you have front uppers and lowers or only uppers? Adding lowers and repositioning the axle forward should also smooth things out.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

How fast are you driving over these speed bumps? You have adjustable arms and fox shocks so you should be getting a pretty comfortable ride. What are your alignment specs, mainly castor? Did you get an alignment after installing your lift, or did you just throw the arms on and trust that they were set to the correct length? Also what tires and PSI are you running?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
How fast are you driving over these speed bumps? You have adjustable arms and fox shocks so you should be getting a pretty comfortable ride. What are your alignment specs, mainly castor? Did you get an alignment after installing your lift, or did you just throw the arms on and trust that they were set to the correct length? Also what tires and PSI are you running?
I hit the bumps between 5 and 20 mph. Sometimes fast feels better. My caster is 4.7deg. My alignment is as close to perfect as one can get. I had it done twice after the lift. I have all eight control arms, both track bars and I run the Nitto EXO Grappler tires at 29psi. The control arms won't correct the geometry problem that the brackets would solve. They will only correct caster.

My concern is how much better would it be? On a scale of 1 to 100 on bumps if I go from a 60 to 90 on my "bump meter" then the brackets would be worth it but if you go from an 88 to a 90 then maybe not. Did they help?, yes but not enough to feel and not enough to justify the loss of clearance.

Last edited by Dlampe; 05-26-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Junkie

I'm at 3.5-4 inches. I felt the biggest difference going from a single set of arms to the brackets. I recently installed front upper and lower RK control arms. Honestly I didn't really feel much of a difference. There was this side to side slight jerky feeling I felt with the brackets. I don't feel it with arms. I wonder if highsteer kit would work for you?

Last edited by kjeeper10; 05-27-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hit the bumps between 5 and 20 mph. Sometimes fast feels better. My caster is 4.7deg. My alignment is as close to perfect as one can get. I had it done twice after the lift. I have all eight control arms, both track bars and I run the Nitto EXO Grappler tires at 29psi. The control arms won't correct the geometry problem that the brackets would solve. They will only correct caster.

My concern is how much better would it be? On a scale of 1 to 100 on bumps if I go from a 60 to 90 on my "bump meter" then the brackets would be worth it but if you go from an 88 to a 90 then maybe not. Did they help?, yes but not enough to feel and not enough to justify the loss of clearance.
It seems a little weird that your having this issue with all 8 arms and the caster you have. Do you notice if its the front or rear you seem to be having more of an issue with? Although I am no expert, I believe in pre-running they aim to have the arms as parallel to the ground as possible to help with fast bumps and going through "whoops". But don't quote me on that because I am no where near an expert.

Yes you can run the CA brackets with the adjustable arms, and I think KJeeper has done it (or thought about it) on WF. With all 8 arms and the alignment you have I don't know if it will help has much as you want it too. You have the GC lift which is about as complete a kit as you can buy, and MC makes some really quality stuff. Is everything torqued to spec? That could have some factor into it. What about ball joints? You're running larger tires and that could make them wear faster and could be causing an issue. Are your axles center? Thats another thing that could come into play. Has this become an issue recently, or has it been since you've lifted it or even before the lift? How are the springs sitting in relation to the frame and axle? Is there any bow in them front/back or left/right? Were the springs properly seated, or have them come out of seating when flexing off road?

I don't want to come off as rude saying this, but....It's a jeep, and you have lifted it. Probably netting closer to 4-4.5". Just because its lifted doesn't mean you can haul over bumps. I have a smaller speed bump outside my road. Probably a foot wide and couple inches tall. I drive over it pretty slow and it causes some jump in my jeep. The fixed axles and design of a jeep isn't something to bring comfort in that sense of on road ability. This kit was built for quality on road handling that is within the limits of a jeep, and to enhance the performance off road (mostly crawling).

Again, I am no where near an expert in this matter, but those are some of the things I would look into if I was experiencing the issue. One last idea is one that my local club preaches is to put a gopro under the jeep and drive around and cause the issue. This will allow you to look at the parts that are moving and see what needs correcting, if any.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
It seems a little weird that your having this issue with all 8 arms and the caster you have. Do you notice if its the front or rear you seem to be having more of an issue with? Although I am no expert, I believe in pre-running they aim to have the arms as parallel to the ground as possible to help with fast bumps and going through "whoops". But don't quote me on that because I am no where near an expert. Yes you can run the CA brackets with the adjustable arms, and I think KJeeper has done it (or thought about it) on WF. With all 8 arms and the alignment you have I don't know if it will help has much as you want it too. You have the GC lift which is about as complete a kit as you can buy, and MC makes some really quality stuff. Is everything torqued to spec? That could have some factor into it. What about ball joints? You're running larger tires and that could make them wear faster and could be causing an issue. Are your axles center? Thats another thing that could come into play. Has this become an issue recently, or has it been since you've lifted it or even before the lift? How are the springs sitting in relation to the frame and axle? Is there any bow in them front/back or left/right? Were the springs properly seated, or have them come out of seating when flexing off road? I don't want to come off as rude saying this, but....It's a jeep, and you have lifted it. Probably netting closer to 4-4.5". Just because its lifted doesn't mean you can haul over bumps. I have a smaller speed bump outside my road. Probably a foot wide and couple inches tall. I drive over it pretty slow and it causes some jump in my jeep. The fixed axles and design of a jeep isn't something to bring comfort in that sense of on road ability. This kit was built for quality on road handling that is within the limits of a jeep, and to enhance the performance off road (mostly crawling). Again, I am no where near an expert in this matter, but those are some of the things I would look into if I was experiencing the issue. One last idea is one that my local club preaches is to put a gopro under the jeep and drive around and cause the issue. This will allow you to look at the parts that are moving and see what needs correcting, if any.
Well said !!!! 100% agree.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really appreciate all the comments. I want to say that I am thrilled with my Jeep and the setup. It is much better than my previous Jeep and its set of components. It does ride very well for what it is. I am definitely not disappointed. I don't think my Jeep has an issue or a problem meaning that all my components are working correctly and as expected. My reason for jumping into the thread was really to see if there would be added benefit to the drop brackets in addition to what I would consider an already very comfortable lifted Jeep. I just have no real life experience with this suspension mod and it is cheap relative to other changes. If it would make a notable difference, it might be worth it.

There have been times when I've made changes just to realize I should have left it alone! This could be one of those times.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the MetalCloak Drop Brackets?