Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the RE 2.5 ride, how about upgrading to JKS/Fox?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate the RE 2.5 ride, how about upgrading to JKS/Fox?

I have the Rubicon Express coil 2.5" lift with OME shocks currently on my '09 JKU X. I hate the ride and am looking for a little more space now that I have upgraded to 35's. In talking to my shop about this issue, they recommended JKS springs and Fox shocks. The question is do I stick with a 2.5" or go up to the 3.5"? The price is the same either way and it sounded like it wouldn't be a big deal to go to the 3.5".

I'm posting because as much as I want to go to the 3.5", I'm a little concerned. First, I need it to be no more than 1" higher. I'm giving this one to the wife next year and buying a brand new one and more than 1" and I'm going to sleeping in the garage for a while. With her getting it, it's basically going to mean that it will be a pavement princess. Probably some light wheeling but certainly nothing serious so keep that in mind.

My biggest concern is with geometry issues that will be caused by the extra inch. I certainly want it to handle well on the highway and I don't want to be chewing through tires at $2k a set. Are there going to be any major geometry issues (or other issues) that I should be aware of and financially prepared to correct?

Am I even asking the right questions here lol? I consider myself to know my Jeeps pretty well but this is above my head.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to point me in the right direction.

Last edited by TechLife; 07-14-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Debated with myself on whether or not to post on this and since nobody's given their two cents, here it goes. I bought a brand spanking new Rubicon a few months ago and did my research on all the companies who offer lifts, way before my Jeep was ever even delivered. Being a small business owner, I went with the most shit-talked company out there, just to support the underdog. To be completely honest, I couldn't be happier. Everything went together flawlessly, the ride is right on point, and the performance I've got out of it is more than I expected from a supposed "shit" company. I bought a Rough Country long arm setup and I've put this thing through as much as I could dish at it, TRYING to break something, and it's given me no problems. As far as I hear from local installers, they like their line of recent products. Word I've got is they were a pretty unreliable product in the past but have got a lot better in the recent past. Don't know whether their QC has improved or what, but so far, the people I've talked to who have their new products have nothing bad to say about them. Me being one of them. I'm not paid, endorsed, sponsored, or compensated in any way, shape, or form. Just giving you my honest opinion so that you don't end up over-paying for a setup, especially if it's going to be mostly a mall crawler. My number one complaint.......everyone looking down their noses at me when I pass them up in their high-dollar lifts. Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The cheap route is the Rough country 3.5" series II. I have heard zero complaints about this lift. The other route, I recommend is the teraflex outfitted system. I love their products, their customer service is the best in the biz and everything is built awesome! it will be more expensive than the RC, but you will have a better suspension at the end.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

If the truck is going to the wife then stay at 2.5, it'll be easier for her to get in and out of it. You didn't say what you didn't like about the ride but if it's too harsh, considering you already have OME shocks, maybe looking at a set of Metal Cloak springs would help out the ride.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far.

As far as the ride, yes, it's too rough. Neither of us are a fan but she especially complains that she can feel every crack in the pavement. I can't say as she's wrong.

We've ridden in one with a evo/king setup and thought it was great but for the future this one has, a high dollar lift just doesn't make sense.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone says the Rough Country shocks are too stiff but I can't really say that about their long arm kit. Maybe the roughness comes when running a taller lift with the stock arms (geometry issue) which will happen with most any lift using the stock control arms. I am more than pleased with the ride from my rig and my buddies all mention how once they're in the jeep, it does not feel like it's lifted. Getting into a 6" lifted rig on 37's, though, is a different matter......lol
Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billybobjku
If the truck is going to the wife then stay at 2.5, it'll be easier for her to get in and out of it. You didn't say what you didn't like about the ride but if it's too harsh, considering you already have OME shocks, maybe looking at a set of Metal Cloak springs would help out the ride.
IT'S NOT A TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol IT'S A JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the RE 3.5 with fox 2.0 shocks sitting on 35's . Ride is just fine . My only complaint is the sag from the front bumber and winch.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

If your wife will not like the height of the additional lift then I would recommend staying with the lift size you have. The OME shocks might be stiffening up the ride as well. Most OME products are designed for vehicles with much more additional load so they are valved a little stiffer. I tried looking up their specs but OME does not seem to list them. The FOX shocks are more than likely going to be much more daily friendly. I have them on my Jeep and I liked them over my Bilstein 5100s. JKS makes super nice stuff and are innovative in some of their products as well (like their ACOS for Jeep TJs and JKs as well as secondary suspension for the JK that is not built into an ACOS assembly). They have the utmost standards for quality and most if not all their products have a lifetime warranty. I do not know if you have already decided who to get your parts from but I am a dealer for both so if you would like a quote, or have any questions let me know.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

If you feel every crack in the pavement you may be running too much air in your tires. Also are you on E rates tires or D rated? I'm on D rated nitto MT's. 315/70/17 running about 28 lbs air. I also have a RE 2.5 lift but have .75 pucks in the rear to level the jeep out. I don't have OME but rather went with the RE rebranded Bilstein 5100's. I'm very happy with the way the jeep rides.

Quick Reply: Hate the RE 2.5 ride, how about upgrading to JKS/Fox?