Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you installed your own axle shafts?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michigan Mike
Just to be clear the 70 ft/lbs he'a referring to is the torque for the studs you thread into the new shaft outer plate for the wheel connection and NOT the torque for the axle shaft retainer behind the brake backing plate. That torque is 45 ft./lbs and I would recomend BLUE locktite on them. It's a bit easier to get to these axle shaft retainer nuts with an 18mm crowsfoot on a 3/8" drive torque wrench. I also don't recomend using ANY Locktite on the wheel retention studs. It's simply not necessary. Overall not a difficult job.
Thanks for making that clear.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also don't recomend using ANY Locktite on the wheel retention studs. It's simply not necessary. Overall not a difficult job.
I am sorry but this is not good info . Red loctite is needed on the wheel studs as they are screw in studs and without loctite have been known to come loose.

I will have to look up the torque also to be sure but I am pretty sure it is more than 70 ft lbs.

David
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David I guess my reply wasn't clear. I definintely recommend RED Locktite on the threads on the thread-in wheel retainer studs that screw into the axle outer plate. My comment was regarding the need to put ANY Locktite on the threads of the studs themselves that one tightens the lug nuts onto. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David I guess my reply wasn't clear. I definintely recommend RED Locktite on the threads on the thread-in wheel retainer studs that screw into the axle outer plate. My comment was regarding the need to put ANY Locktite on the threads of the studs themselves that one tightens the lug nuts onto. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I am sorry but this is not good info . Red loctite is needed on the wheel studs as they are screw in studs and without loctite have been known to come loose.

I will have to look up the torque also to be sure but I am pretty sure it is more than 70 ft lbs.

David
Dave dont you sell the shafts with the bearing and tone rings installed?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I had 4wheel parts assemble the shafts with the seals, tone rings and retainers. I just have to slide the new shafts in now!

Quick Reply: Have you installed your own axle shafts?