Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hear Me Roar! Manly Exhaust, but need to quiet down

Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hear Me Roar! Manly Exhaust, but need to quiet down

Last year I bought a Magnaflow MFL17143 and a resonator from Northridge 4x4 and put on my Wrangler. This has a manly aggressive growl indeed, but I need something more stealthy.

My plan is to sell this in WA state as barely used and put OEM or something more quiet in it's place.

Here's the catch - I want to stay on the drivers side and stub out at the rear tire, I don't want to go back to the space behind the bumper.

Please let me know exactly what you bought that's dead-assed quiet, not speculation. I want to most quiet exhaust that can happen on this 3.8.

Then I want to see if it's possible to stay on the drivers run and bolt in the same places.

Thx for your experiences.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

After speaking to a number of muffler shops, MOPAR, local Jeep service parts dept, random strangers that will listen . . it does seem that there's no more quiet way than to return to stock at the rear bumper

I'm going to post on CL and see if anyone wants to do a swap on a 2007 - 2011 3.8lt exhaust.

I swapped my racing seats for stock in a parking pot with an impact wrench in 20 minutes, so maybe I can get about the same thing done.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. Removing the resonator is working against you for sure. Then being restricted to the bullet style muffler in order to stay set up under the driver seals the deal. Even the quieter ones are freakin loud. Good luck. I've got the Dynomax but it's not for everybody.

Last edited by Cutman; 02-26-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The system linked is our 'Off-Road' exhaust, which will be the most aggressive (loudest) one we offer for the JK. If you are going for super stealthy, you may want to stick to the stock system as Unlimite_Fun mentioned, or have an exhaust shop make a custom catback with the exit style you prefer.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Temporary hijack: Magnaflow, how does this system compare to your "Rockcrawlerr" system? I hope to move away from the stock muffler position and I want a more aggressive note, but I don't want the drone to kill my family's enjoyment on highway trips, either.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
Temporary hijack: Magnaflow, how does this system compare to your "Rockcrawlerr" system? I hope to move away from the stock muffler position and I want a more aggressive note, but I don't want the drone to kill my family's enjoyment on highway trips, either.
Here is my magnaflow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_sIjWFpNy0 the drone is pretty bad at times
Old 02-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
The Off-Road system will be about the same volume and tone as the the Rock Crawler, but the RC will sound quieter inside the cabin since the exit is at the rear, rather than underneath the car where you (or your family) sit.

Quick Reply: Hear Me Roar! Manly Exhaust, but need to quiet down