Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy duty suspension

Old 03-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm running Icon coilovers and all the parts are oversized and extremely durable. Their springs are guaranteed not to sag or break and I can verify that if you put weight on the bumper it doesn't budge. Very high quality kit.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to try some springs from spring supplier Sterling Springs. I have heard some really good reference about them, and I think that they should be really good

Last edited by Joftyr; 03-13-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You do know that upgrading the suspension won't change the ratings of your Jeep.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have linear springs from my evo kit and dont recommend them for heavy loaded jeep. Even with a 4" lift my jeep sags a bit in the back when fully loaded with gear, tools, spare parts and full gas tank.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll throw our $.02 in here. There are a lot of solid suspension options out there, some lend themselves better to being loaded than others. Many kits start on the tall side with the expectation of the added weight of bumpers, armor, spare tires, ect.

We strongly recommend the JKS JSpec springs, they're a dual rate spring that is designed to take some weight while providing good street manners as well as off road performance. Ride height is super consistent, which is one of the reasons we gravitated toward them in the first place. A front 3.5" JSpec spring, for instance, gives you a true 3.5" on a factory JK (slightly less on the rear for a true level stance), and loses ride height very predictably at about half the rate of pretty much everything else we have tried. The downside to that is that you will always end up slightly shy of your initial ride height, but, it does it very evenly and predictably. On something like a 3.5 AEV spring (still a great spring, by the way) you are more likely to nail your taller ride height, but the settling is less even, and the ride is very soft, which is AEV's thing.

One thing a previous poster mentioned is that a linear spring will definitely be more vulnerable to sagging. Look for a dual rate (JKS, Metal Cloak) or a multi rate (AEV, Rock Krawler) spring to help keep the sagging to a minimum.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Trail Jeeps;4282881 A front 3.5" JSpec spring, for instance, gives you a true 3.5" on a factory JK (slightly less on the rear for a true level stance), and loses ride height very predictably at about half the rate of pretty much everything else we have tried. The downside to that is that you will always end up slightly shy of your initial ride height, but, it does it very evenly and predictably. On something like a 3.5 AEV spring (still a great spring, by the way) you are more likely to nail your taller ride height, but the settling is less even, and the ride is very soft, which is AEV's thing.
[/QUOTE]

I have ridden in jeeps with Synergy, AEV, Mopar, and Teraflex springs. The Mopar springs (1 Jeep) were the worst, harshest riding springs. Then AEV (2 Jeeps) and Teraflex (2 Jeeps) which were noticeably better but definitely not a soft ride off-road and on, too rough a ride in my opinion and causing fatigue to passengers and drivers on rough roads. The Synergy springs (2 Jeeps) I've ridden in were the most plush of these 4 brands I have tried.

On one AEV jeep my kids refused to ride in it, after riding half the day on trails in it they said it was very uncomfortable and refused to go back into it. This is notable to me because a comment on ride quality is not something you usually get unsolicited from a 11 year old.

Now you are saying the AEV springs are soft compared to JSpec. That would be a huge turn off for me the AEV was already harsh and not something I would want to drive for long distance after experiencing other set ups.

Last edited by Biginboca; 03-13-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Heavy duty suspension