Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Duty Tailgate hinges from Retrofit Offroad

Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Duty Tailgate hinges from Retrofit Offroad

If you have an oversided tire (35's) on the back of your JK and you are tired of hearing that AWFUL tailgate rattle as you are driving down the road, on the trails, or in the dunes, you need to try these Heavy Duty Tailgate hinges from Retrofit Offroad (www.retrofitoffroad.com). I have had them on my Jeep for two weeks now and they made a world of a difference. Takes minutes to install and you cannot beat the price. It is well worth the investment.

I have tested these on our LOVELY Michigan roads and did 61 miles on the trails in the Roscommon area over the weekend and i did not hear one sound. Actually, the sounds I did hear were the sounds that were masked by the tailgate rattle before; lose fenders and mirror mount.

I am totally satisfied by these Heavy Duty Tailgate hinges from Retrofit Offroad and recommend them to anyone that has an oversided tire on the back of their JK.

Email me or reply to my post if you have any questions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_161043.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	619694Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_161047.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	619695Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_161053.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	619696Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_161847.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	619697
Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have any long term experience with these? Trying to decide between these or saving for a crawler conceptz carrier
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kyle521
Does anyone have any long term experience with these? Trying to decide between these or saving for a crawler conceptz carrier
I know these are a new product and they are trying to get their name and product out there. I have no complaints so far.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

They look identical to the ones I bought from extreme terrain. XT offers a 3 year warranty plus forum discount.

But I agree- solid product thus far. I've got a 285/70-17 on the stock carrier that I habitually run up and down the ruts of the beach and I haven't had a single budge yet. My stock hinges also had 120k miles on them, so it was time. The gate opens much nicer now and for anyone who missed it- they are greaseable.

More info...https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-319775/page5/

Last edited by karls10jk; 07-29-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for an easy pain free install do not get this carrier.

It looks great when it's on but is not an easy thirty minute install like the teraflex carrier.

You will like it as I like mine but the install is not a walk in the park. The paint gets scratched off immediately in the hinge area due to fitment of the supplied parts
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560

It looks great when it's on but is not an easy thirty minute install like the teraflex carrier.

You will like it as I like mine but the install is not a walk in the park. The paint gets scratched off immediately in the hinge area due to fitment of the supplied parts
I would rather deal with a difficult install than installing a chinese carrier that can break a lot easier
Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

I would rather deal with a difficult install than installing a chinese carrier that can break a lot easier
With you there, wasn't trying to bash it at all I have one!

I wanted steel and it is definitely really sturdy. Holds my 35 without budging. Have to figure out something for the hinges though, they lose paint from day one.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560

Were you saying the paint on the jeep or the paint on the tire carrier hinge?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Default what does it cost?

where did you get it ? what chinese carrier were you guys talking about?
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Were you saying the paint on the jeep or the paint on the tire carrier hinge?
I'll take some pics when I get off work tomorrow morning and post them much better example. Working 6-6 all this week.

It's on the area where the reused stock hinge and new hinge plate are moving with the gate.

Had the carrier on almost two months.

Still, I bought it for a reason. I like the look of it and that its steel. Not dogging it in the least just not as easy as the teraflex unit.

In another thread they said they fixed the cracking issues a while back, but it still happened. That's how I see it. For 700 bucks that shouldn't happen.

Post back in about 13 hours, if I remember.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Tailgate hinges from Retrofit Offroad