Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help choosing Skid Plates.. need feedback

Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing Skid Plates.. need feedback

Hey guys, i have a 2 door 2014 JK Rubicon with a 6 speed manual. Here is what i am looking for, Crossmember Skid, Manual Transmission Skid and Oil Pan Skid. I know there are a lot of choices out there but i do have some preferences... I would like it to be Light Weight (Aluminum Maybe??), Very Functional and somewhat affordable, i'm not gonna cheap out on price for quality but i don't want to break the back either. So anyway, for you guys out there with experience with these skids on your jeep, what do you recommend as far as my preferences. Thank you for your feedback
Old 08-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Why aluminum? Affordable and aluminum don't usually pair well together. For a manual transmission skid, just get the standard auto trans skid bar (mopar) and bolt it on. You'll want a strong crossmember since everything bolts to it.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Why aluminum? Affordable and aluminum don't usually pair well together. For a manual transmission skid, just get the standard auto trans skid bar (mopar) and bolt it on. You'll want a strong crossmember since everything bolts to it.
Why would i get an auto trans skid bar for a manual transmission?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'd have to look at two jeeps next to each other to see why. It's all the protection the factory offers but you can build off of it.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a contest going on here from Rock Hard 4x4 where they are giving away a skid system.

There are two that I have researching the Rock Hard 4x4 and the EVO Protek system. Each have there own specific design and off the same which is protection. Not sure what part of the country you reside but take into consideration the winter weather. If you live in the Midwest or North East I would steer way clear of Aluminum because the salt on the road would eat the Aluminum in one maybe two winters.

R/
Will
Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canvas
There is a contest going on here from Rock Hard 4x4 where they are giving away a skid system.

There are two that I have researching the Rock Hard 4x4 and the EVO Protek system. Each have there own specific design and off the same which is protection. Not sure what part of the country you reside but take into consideration the winter weather. If you live in the Midwest or North East I would steer way clear of Aluminum because the salt on the road would eat the Aluminum in one maybe two winters.

R/
Will
How do you enter the contest?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

The contest is on this thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-f...rd-4x4-336294/
Old 08-26-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would stay away from aluminum if you really wheels in the rocks. If you can fab, build your own for a fraction of the cost and you can typically build your own that weigh less then the ones that use factory mounting locations.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 2012 2 door with the Rock Hard skids and a Poison Spyder hd crossmember. My stock crossmember looked like a mangled banana after a few years, it's definitely worth upgrading. I like the RH skids too, they fit reasonably well, they have good coverage, I like the way they overlap and the conical washers might help keep the bolt heads usable. They haven't taken a good hit yet, but without adding a whole bunch of weight, nothing is really going to hold up to abuse without some deformation. I wanted to keep the weight down too, but at the end of the day the steel will slide better, it's easier to repair or modify, and it's cheaper.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canvas

R/
Will
I always thought aluminum doesn't rust?

Quick Reply: Help choosing Skid Plates.. need feedback