Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding tires--too many options

Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding tires--too many options

I've spent hours reading through posts and now it's time for me to get new shoes and I'd like some input on people's opinions on the ones I've narrowed it down to. I'm running a 2012 JKU with a 2" spacer lift and currently have 255/85/16 BF Goodrich T/A KM2s because I'm running on stock 16x7 wheels. I would like to go to a 285/75/16 but I know (or at least I've read) that most places won't install the 285s on the 16x7 stock steelies. So my debate lies here: do I go with another 255/85 and then my options are limited to Dick Cepek Extreme Country, Cooper Discoverer S/T (not S/T Maxx), and Maxxis 762-Bighorns? Or I found some cheap Jegs 16x8 wheels that I would then consider Kumho AT51s or Falken Wilpeak AT3Ws. I would love some input on any of these tires, especially if anyone has had them in snow/ice as Colorado weather can be unpredictable and I gotta keep the little one safe. I'm a 90% DD, 10% off road so i'm considering all-terrains and I am on a very tight budget. Appreciate anyone's feedback.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm up in Alberta and deal with similar weather as Colorado. I have had the opportunity to talk about AT tires with a few people. The Cooper AT is a good tire, one of my Jeep buddies drove to Alaska and around on the shale roads without issue on those tires. Even wear, comfortable ride and plenty of traction. Most people around here will stick with the Duratrac for highway and gravel road use (compound is too easily punctured or cut in the rockies) or the KO2 for mixed highway / off-road. Mud tires are great if you actually drive in mud or deep snow, but they're terrible on ice, and I think that applies to any MT.

Currently I only have a set of 35" Nitto terra grapplers. They're loud, have a left hand pull and are exceptionally hard. They make driving in winter even more tedious than the stock BFG KMs. But they're amazing in mud, snow and rock. They just grip. If I had the option, I would go to the 35" or 37" KO2s.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go cooper, made in the USA.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Another vote for duratrac if they come in the appropriate size for you. I've had mine for about 2 yrs. I'm very happy with them. I have read lots of positives about them on this forum and almost no negatives.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have 37x12.50x17 on my jk with a 3.25in lift Cooper Discover pro stt. Love them!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160902_114251.png
Views:	117
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	655882
Old 09-02-2016, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Talk to your local tire shops to see if they have a problem mounting bigger tires on narrow rims. I'm sure you can find someplace that will. Just remember that as you go taller/wider, you might need to consider wheel spacers to move them out further, or adjusting the steer stops.

If you end up with new rims, have you considered moving to 17"?

I ran 315/75/16 bighorns and 325/80/16 wildpeaks in colorado. Both were good tires, but the wildpeaks were of course better on the slick stuff. Just depends on whether you want aggressive or passive. I liked the look of the bighorns. Once the wildpeaks were mounted, I never cared for the look of them on my jeep, just too mild looking after the bighorns. Running cooper stt pro's now, liking them more than the bighorn or wildpeak.

Quick Reply: Help deciding tires--too many options