Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a gal out - bumper suggestions?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help a gal out - bumper suggestions?

Let me preface this with, I'm not an off-road enthusiast (not that I won't be one day), have no clue how to off-road and probably won't for some time. I want to customize my JK, but for the most part for looks only.

After doing research for hours, I'm about to give up on my search for a non-factory bumper for my 07' JK. A lady plowed into me last week and now I have a reason to put a new front bumper on. I want one with the factory fog light cut-outs as I already have those installed. I'm not a fan of the stubby bumpers and for what reason would I need one? I initially liked the looks of the tube bumper by Rugged Ridge, but after reading the hatred toward that style on the JK, I've opted against it. Ideally, I want something thats practical from a resale standpoint, as who knows when I might get an itchin' to sale it (although its paid for, so this is unlikely for a while). Also, after reading about different weights and stuff, I'm thoroughly confused.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to make an educated decision on my own and would like some recommendations on a front bumper that I can put on my JK that will cause no issues as far as functionality (i.e. weight/lowering) and has the cut-outs. Any help you can offer, would be GREATLY appreciated. I am female if that gives you insight on my limited knowledge of all things mechanical!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well given that you have consecrated HOURS of research to this question...

Go on to the Quadratec (google it) website and have a look around. There is a full section in there on the 07 - 10 JK with lots of pix of lots of bumpers from lots of companies. Find what you like and order it.

Don't pay attention to the naysayers. Buy what you like. I have one of the first RR Modular bumpers on my JK and have had NO issues with it.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by countrygal26
Let me preface this with, I'm not an off-road enthusiast (not that I won't be one day), have no clue how to off-road and probably won't for some time. I want to customize my JK, but for the most part for looks only.

After doing research for hours, I'm about to give up on my search for a non-factory bumper for my 07' JK. A lady plowed into me last week and now I have a reason to put a new front bumper on. I want one with the factory fog light cut-outs as I already have those installed. I'm not a fan of the stubby bumpers and for what reason would I need one? I initially liked the looks of the tube bumper by Rugged Ridge, but after reading the hatred toward that style on the JK, I've opted against it. Ideally, I want something thats practical from a resale standpoint, as who knows when I might get an itchin' to sale it (although its paid for, so this is unlikely for a while). Also, after reading about different weights and stuff, I'm thoroughly confused.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to make an educated decision on my own and would like some recommendations on a front bumper that I can put on my JK that will cause no issues as far as functionality (i.e. weight/lowering) and has the cut-outs. Any help you can offer, would be GREATLY appreciated. I am female if that gives you insight on my limited knowledge of all things mechanical!
There are so many options but if no stubby, I like LoD mid-width or if you have the $, Fab Fours or AEV makes a sweet looking bumper. Of course, full bumpers do weigh more .
Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Default This is the thread for bumper comparison

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...per+comparison
Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

I also have the Olympic rock bumper. I chose to reused the stock tow hooks in addition to the stock fogs. Weighs approximately 30 lbs. and is easy to install/remove. Best of all, it cost me less than $300 shipped to my door and it is made in U.S.A.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

First, thank you ALL for your help. My question is, how much weight is TOO much weight? In other words, what do I need to limit myself to when looking?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by countrygal26
First, thank you ALL for your help. My question is, how much weight is TOO much weight? In other words, what do I need to limit myself to when looking?
the Jk will handle most bumpers. I would try to stay at 100 lbs for a stock Jeep
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Rugged Ridge Bumper, it has tons of options. It comes in a winch and non-winch version (which would reduce weight if you have no plans for a winch). You can add ends, hoop, stinger, or pre-runner. One of the best things, if you like most of us, there is a budget and this bumper can be had on the cheap. It also has cut outs for the factory fogs. This is a pretty light bumper. What makes mine heavy is the winch.

Here is a cool link that will let you see all the options this bumper has.
http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/r..._bumper/jk.php

Heres mine. I have the winch version. Have the ends and the hoop option. I have since removed the ends and now its a stubby. Hope this helps.

Last edited by YingYang; 03-10-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think that after 80-100 lb, you will have significant sagging of the front end.

I like the Olympic Rock Bumper. Had one on my cherokee and it performed exceptionally well.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by priell3
I also have the Olympic rock bumper. I chose to reused the stock tow hooks in addition to the stock fogs. Weighs approximately 30 lbs. and is easy to install/remove. Best of all, it cost me less than $300 shipped to my door and it is made in U.S.A.

as far as function I think this is a great bumper, but would you really want it for its looks

Quick Reply: Help a gal out - bumper suggestions?