Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help How to fix Emergency Brakes on Jk 11

Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need you guys input on how i can really fix my E brake, before i head to Jeepsafari this April, right now if I pull it up its very loose... Heres the following stuff I have already done

1. Replaced the brake shoes, both tires

2. Have adjust the star behind the drum until it wont go any more ( I can only adjust it while the drum disc is half way because if i remove it and adjust it while is off, the drum disc wont go in anymore

3, I have checked behind the parking handle for any adjustment but there no adjustment as i seen on the 2008 jk... Mines 2011 Rubicon

4. *****I have not replaced that brake drums disc yet,,,*****

5. brake hardware hasnt been replaced either
Old 02-22-2017, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just received some new brake shoes, but haven't put them on yet. I have the same issue so I'll be subscribing to this thread.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You've read through the following to fully understand how the parking brake works?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...usting-122492/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

It seems there was also a relatively recent thread where the guy replaced the handle and cables- he found a functioning brake afterwards.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys,, i will review that thread,,, i took it to the jeep dealer couple months ago but they are so crazy,they wanted to charge me $500 plus parts,, hell noo lol
Old 02-23-2017, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Offroadtoys4x4Jk
i took it to the jeep dealer couple months ago but they are so crazy,they wanted to charge me $500 plus parts,, hell noo lol
Sometimes that ends up being a deal. How much time do you have invested already? How much is your time worth? How many parts are you changing before you get the problem fixed? What's the cost in that? If you're a $10/hr guy, you have a bunch of time to invest. If you're on the other end, $500 gets cheap fast in these kind of situations, especially when you're just being a parts changer.

Personally, I'd look at the cable and see if they're stretched after 6 years in service.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default never really knew

the jk had a emergency brake . After putting em brake shoes and all , it still never worked as it is supposed to . mine catches on last click after skipping a few notches , if you can count on that even . Never had a vehicle in my life that had such a problem with a emergency brake. just another well known issue with a jk . Not going to loose sleep over it though. Id never trust it with my life though. Mine really never worked right from the date it came from factory. Your best off putting it in gear , shutting engine off , pull the em brake . Before walking in front of the jeep ive found. The em brake shoe kits are a pita as well with all the silly springs and rivets &
adjusting the gear wheel is next to impossible with out removing the wheel over and over again . Seeing its near impossible to adjust from behind the rotor shield access slot w/ hub and wheel on.
Yeh 500 might not be so bad! They can deal with pulling the hub
but most likely will just try turning the gear wheel from access hole and call it a day and hand you the bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wrangler-jk-rear-parking-brake-parts.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	667192  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-23-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Aftermarket support

Looks to me like one of the aftermarket companies would jump on this and offer up some type of upgrade/solution. Mine has been crap from early on. I've adjusted a couple of times and its still crap. Like mentioned above, mine acts like a ratchet missing some teeth. Sometimes it graps, sometimes not...and never solidly. If a company out there came up with a good upgrade, i'd be first in line!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if someone posted it already but there was a vid on Youtube of a JK owner with an older model (pre-2011 as he still had the pre-FIAT interior) who did a mod to take up the slack on the e-brake.....

* ...and this was at the lever end as opposed to tightening up at the brake shoe.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-25-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just removed mine. I found it never worked anyway. Stock tires, new parts.....slow creep still with with parking brake set. 35s, 37s.....forget about it. I never bothered to reinstall all that garbage last year when I did my gears. I don't miss it. At all.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Guys with bent rear axle shaft flanges will notice their emergency brake shoes wear rapidly. Probably a good plan to replace them at the same time as replacing the rear shafts.

Quick Reply: Help How to fix Emergency Brakes on Jk 11