Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Lift Installed

Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Lift Installed

I got my 4" lift installed by performance alley in lewisville Tx yesterday and after taking it for a alignment they told me they couldn't adjust the camber that I needed a camber kit. I got up this morning and took it to my local dealership and they said I needed adjustable ball joints... I told them to proceed. Anyone heard of this? Is this normal? Will adjustable ball joints cause any other issues? I'm a newbie on mods.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Just curios but what lift?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Former Vendor

Camber is non adjustable on the JK. Unless something is bent you won't have much camber at all.

Also with the JK an alignment typically is not needed the only thing that is needed would be adjusting the drag link to center the steering wheel.

The way the steering is designed on these Jeeps a lift does not affect the toe adjustment at all.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matprovo
Just curios but what lift?
Zone offroad 4" lift
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2403566834.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	396314  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Camber is non adjustable on the JK. Unless something is bent you won't have much camber at all.

Also with the JK an alignment typically is not needed the only thing that is needed would be adjusting the drag link to center the steering wheel.

The way the steering is designed on these Jeeps a lift does not affect the toe adjustment at all.
Thanks, don't you have to have an alignment after a lift? And can't your camber be off from lifting your JK?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Former Vendor

Normally on a car with independent suspension then you would be correct that the camber would be affected when changing the ride height. In the instance of the JK it is not affected at all with a change in ride height.

The toe is also not affected like it would be on most vehicles. All that is really needed when changing the ride height on the JK is the adjustment in the drag link so you can center your steering wheel again.

Granted it is better to change your toe slightly when you have a larger tire but it is not 100% mandatory.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your camber is outta spec then you either have a bent C, axle housing ,or blown ball joint. I had to use adj ball joints on mine to get camber in spec. Post up your alinement readout if you can.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If your camber is outta spec then you either have a bent C, axle housing ,or blown ball joint. I had to use adj ball joints on mine to get camber in spec. Post up your alinement readout if you can.
The dealership has it, as soon a I get it back I will post it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help!! Lift Installed