Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me figure out my squeak! Ahhhhhhh!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me figure out my squeak! Ahhhhhhh!!!

I have a squeak in the rear of my jeep. It's sounds like tweety bird chirping around when going over washboard roads badly. It doesn't really do it on flat roads. What I did find is that if I'm on flat road and I slightly press the brakes, just before I feel the brakes actually start to work, I get the shatter like chirping from the back of the jeep. If I apply the brakes further, the sound goes away.

It's crazy how one squeak can drive you to the point of selling it.

Must. Find. Fix.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skumbag
I have a squeak in the rear of my jeep. It's sounds like tweety bird chirping around when going over washboard roads badly. It doesn't really do it on flat roads. What I did find is that if I'm on flat road and I slightly press the brakes, just before I feel the brakes actually start to work, I get the shatter like chirping from the back of the jeep. If I apply the brakes further, the sound goes away.

It's crazy how one squeak can drive you to the point of selling it.

Must. Find. Fix.
Mine does the same exact thing. Buddy of mine who has a 2010 also has the same issue. It's been driving us nuts for months! Looking forward to an answer as well
Old 07-29-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a squeak because some of my bushings are bad. Could be a possibility.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bent axle flange causing a brake squeak.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

I had a real bad squeaking noise when on bumpy roads coming from the tailgate after I washed my Jeep...turns out, when I was cleaning the back seal area with a rag that had armor all on it...I got some in/on the latching mechanism, tried cleaning it with a dry cloth and it helped but, didn't go completely away for about a week or so when the armor all finally just wore off.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had this squeak. I'll save you guys some trouble. Mine would squeak once I got around 20-30 mph and would continue up to 70. It would get the worst when just tapping the brake. And would go away when harder on the brake. Put mine on a lift and ran it. Ended up being a bent axle shaft in my left rear. Was causing the brake caliper to move and squeak.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

As the other guy said could be flange or bearings too. Try putting it on a lift and running it. That's what helped me narrow mine down. I ended up replacing/upgrading my rear axles left one was a bitch to get out because of the bend but that was the complete cause of the squeak for me.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ncb
Sounds like a bent axle flange causing a brake squeak.
i would definitely check this if i had this squeek you describe.

Quick Reply: Help me figure out my squeak! Ahhhhhhh!!!