Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spend my $$$ on wheels/tires please

Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help me spend my $$$ on wheels/tires please

'15 JKR. I'm getting it ready to roll on 35" (advertised) tires. I'll use this as a daily driver 99% of the time and only play off-road every few weeks.

With that in mind my real dilemma is regarding wheel size and tire choice. I'd like to stay away from E-load-rated tires only because they all seem to have such a harsh ride on the few pickups I've run them on. Seems all I can find in that diameter for 17" wheels are E-rated. But there are several non-E/D rated choices for 15" wheels.

I like the looks of the few 15" wheels I've found to fit, but certainly there are more choices in 17" wheels. I'm leaning toward beadlock wheels, but don't necessarily NEED them. Just wannem. :-)

So... for a mostly-street-driven JK, are there any compelling reasons to go for 15" as opposed to 17" wheels? Or 17's over 15's? Money is always a factor, but I can afford to go either way. Will on-road handling be horrible with huge soft sidewalls on 15" wheels? Am I worried about nothing regarding my distaste for E or even D load ratings?

I've read and read, then read some more, but am still not finding my way.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

E sidewalls aren't as terrible as you may recall. The key is air pressure. I have run E sidewalls for 2 years now and they feel no different than my C or current D sidewall tires.

The bfg ko2 for the Ford Raptor is a 315/70-17 offered up by Tire Rack in a load range C for cheaper than the load range E if you're dead set on C's.

The great 15 vs 17 debate.......go 17". I was a proponent for years of the benefits of 15's but with increased tire size comes a need for larger (beefier) steering and those items don't tuck nicely into 15" wheels.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also be careful with the 15s. Some tie rods won't fit in them without extra backstop. Why not 16s?

Edit- sorry karls10. Didn't see you already mentioned the steering component issue

Last edited by Tilly; 12-22-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too sure if they make em in a 15" but my 35x12.5r17 Goodyear Fierce Attitude ride real smooth and are surprisingly quiet for a seemingly aggressive mud terrain
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_JK_Watson
Not too sure if they make em in a 15" but my 35x12.5r17 Goodyear Fierce Attitude ride real smooth and are surprisingly quiet for a seemingly aggressive mud terrain
Aaah... yes; QUIET is also a major concern for me. I wasn't unhappy with my original M/T's until my most recent tire rotation. I figured every oil change would be overkill, but I learned the hard way and will now be rotating them every 3k miles. They are quieting down a bit after a few hundred miles. Last thing I want are LOUDER tires.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed a difference in on road handling between a 15" and 17" wheel and a 35" tire. The additional sidewall tends to give more on the 15's, I really prefer the handling characteristics of a 17.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

I nearly bought some fuel trophys with some 35" bfg ko2. Method is extremely popular not quite as much as fuel. Check out some raceline avengers.

17"
Old 12-22-2016, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure what they have for 17s but I really dig my cooper st discoverers. Nice hybrid between an at and mt. Not too loud and wearing well.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by any4xx
Aaah... yes; QUIET is also a major concern for me. I wasn't unhappy with my original M/T's until my most recent tire rotation. I figured every oil change would be overkill, but I learned the hard way and will now be rotating them every 3k miles. They are quieting down a bit after a few hundred miles. Last thing I want are LOUDER tires.
It's quite shocking that I can hardly hear them even with the windows down and even going down the highway doing 70 they have minimal road noise, plus they seem to be wearing really well. Couldn't beat the price either, 4 for $1200 with install and warranty
Old 12-22-2016, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

My 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs are D-Rated and they ride amazing! Technically they are an A/T tire but the tread pattern is very aggressive. Quite tires and they perform extremely well off-road.

Quick Reply: Help me spend my $$$ on wheels/tires please