Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Locker or Not...

Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Locker or Not...

I am totally thinking about an auto locker in '10 JKU. I don't have the money for an ARB, nor do I want to save up because of all the work that I would have to pay someone to do since I am, by no means, qualified to install such a thing. So, I have tried to read everything and anything about lunchbox lockers and have my eye on either an Aussie or Spartan. What I am really looking for is opinions on this. I don't wheel very often. When I do, it's usually to the OBX. Maybe, and this is very BIG maybe, I might go wheeling in central VA.

I guess I am trying to see if its worth it or if my Trac-Lok and the vehicles traction control is enough traction. I would like to be able to go crazy at the beach and actually forge my own paths versus following everyones ruts or do some more at the trails instead of just following them.

For reference, it rarely snows here, and if it does, I keep in in 2WD...so I won't have problems with icy conditions and a locked front axle and the trails I have seen have some crazy turns....

Is an auto locker something I should consider, and if so, Aussie or Spartan?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

or if my Trac-Lok and the vehicles traction control is enough traction.
Take it out on a trail and you can answer that for yourself a whole lot better than we can answer it for you.

If you decide you need more traction, the Aussie has good reviews. If you opt for a professional install, consider the TrueTrac. (from your stated usage, a TT up front and the stock l/s in back would would work great).
Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. That's a good point. I have taken it out and it did fine in 4-lo. I guess I see some obstacles and think, damn, I wish I got the Rubicon and had my e-lockers to climb that face. LOL maybe a better question is whether or not its worth it to trade the '10 JKU for a Rubicon.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

the trac loc is a peice of crap. I had it and it destroyed my gears. I now have a grizzly auto locker. I love it, get great traction and only notice it when taking sharp turns.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joisey
the trac loc is a peice of crap. I had it and it destroyed my gears. I now have a grizzly auto locker. I love it, get great traction and only notice it when taking sharp turns.
That's what I keep hearing. I thought about TrueTacs for both front and rear, but damn, they're expensive and that doesn't include labor and installation.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Honestly I would really take your Jeep out the way it is now. Attempt some stuff. If you find yourself stuck a lot then think about a locker. I wheeled my open X for two years. You would really be surprised how well it actually does. If you decide to get a locker. I put an Aussie up front in mine and there is a noticeable difference and it honestly wasnt that difficult to install. Before you pay someone to put it in post up in your regions section and see what turns up. A lot of the time you can get someone to help you out for a case of beer or something like that.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

My buddy lets me work on my stuff at his house since living in a condo doesn't do well. I may just go ahead with the Aussie. I enjoy beach driving so the extra traction in the soft sand, especially the stretch before the actual beach and the road. I think I have watched every youtube, and ready every post on its installation. Seems fairly simple. I guess that will be the holdover till i either get a Rubicon, or force myself to get a selectable front locker and then hope someone in my region can help install it. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jereb83
I thought about TrueTacs for both front and rear, but damn, they're expensive and that doesn't include labor and installation.
You are comparing a very strong full case traction device to a lunchbox that gets installed inside your stock carrier. $375ish for the front d30 version and $475ish for the rear 44 isn't too bad at all for what you get. (until you start adding in labor, at least.)

And since lunchboxes aren't really recommended for the rear end, you are looking at bumping up to a detroit if you want an auto-locker back there anyway.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well believe me...I am scouring the web for discounted TrueTracs and hoping that Craigslist will allow me to find a decent mechanic that can accurately put these things together...it sucks...all I need them to do is ensure that the ring and pinion are fine, I can pull everything else out. I guess we will see.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh boy...I just found the rear D44 TruTrac for 480 and the front D30 for 410.

Quick Reply: Auto Locker or Not...