Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Upgrading to 37"s

Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
My concern comparing the 2 is how they will compare at highway speeds. I think on the trail with 37's either one may work but for the DD/weekend wheeler like me which will give the best everyday driving experience. I know a ram changes the steering feel but not having driven one I don't know what that means at 80 on the interstate. Seems like with the box you would keep the same steering feel at high speed, but then again I don't know that for sure either...
It drives awesome on the highway no other way to put it much better than stock I think. Very direct and very controlled. You can drive with hard crosswinds and stay in your lane. You can hit a nasty pothole and your steering wheel will not move. You can drive 90mph with one finger in the wheel though I'll advised. There seems to be a misconception about streetability with ram assist. This is not a full hydro system. As long as you are pairing the right size pump to the right size ram you are good to go
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am here in NOVA as well. I recommend that you wheel the snot out of it and take a bit of time to figure out what you need and what parts should go on first.

I am dying to go wheeling, last time was Jan 1 in Harrisonburg, so lets get a few rigs together and go to Rausch this weekend in the snow.

PM if you are interested.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
I am here in NOVA as well. I recommend that you wheel the snot out of it and take a bit of time to figure out what you need and what parts should go on first.

I am dying to go wheeling, last time was Jan 1 in Harrisonburg, so lets get a few rigs together and go to Rausch this weekend in the snow.

PM if you are interested.
I was out at Flagpole this past weekend. It's a temporary fix, certainly nothing like Rausch. Is there anything better out by Harrisonburg? It was a solid 4 hours to scratch that itch n
Old 02-08-2017, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and also start a spreadsheet of all the stuff you want. It will help both when you are trying to figure out what comes next and when/if you ever have to go to the insurance company for replacement costs.

I have sunk $25k into mine and there is still $22k worth of stuff I want. It never ends.

BTW, I would be happy to help with your mods.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I was out at Flagpole this past weekend. It's a temporary fix, certainly nothing like Rausch. Is there anything better out by Harrisonburg? It was a solid 4 hours to scratch that itch n
A little farther south is Potts Mountain. I haven't done it in over a year, but it was better than Flagpole. Supposedly Shoe Creek is open again, but I have not checked recently (near Charlottesville). Big Levels also...

What is location 757?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Pott' s was neat a few years back when I was on smaller tires, definitely a challenge. I'd like to check out Shoe Creek again, they've got decent camping there and just to the north off of Meadows Lane.

757 is the area code down here in Hampton Roads. It's a unique area with no wheeling opportunities and miles of concrete.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Yep. My setup has been working awesome for years. And now you got guys drooling over a $850 HD steering box with no ram. I don't care how big a box is nothing can replace the power of a ram
I'm definitely curious how much real difference the PSC HD steering box makes vs the stock unit. It definitely is expensive, but looks like a good upgrade, at least on paper..
Old 02-09-2017, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Shoe Creek is closed.

I'm in Nova/DC too...and the only places worth wheeling are Rausch Creek, Big Dogs events at the Cove, and Chaos.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I'm definitely curious how much real difference the PSC HD steering box makes vs the stock unit. It definitely is expensive, but looks like a good upgrade, at least on paper..
Yep very curious as well
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Why even worry about how good it is, if for $400 you can do the Red Neck Ram Assist from west Texas and stop the forces from ever going to the steering box, and also make the Jeep steer better with 37" tires than it did with stock 32" tires? Seems like at that point your spending money just to say you got a PSC part. Overpriced PSC part at that.

How many steering gear boxes have broken with a ram assist in front of them?

You have 2 choices in ram assist systems, PSC for $1200+ or West Texas Off Road for $400+. That is not that hard of a choice.

Quick Reply: Help Upgrading to 37"s