Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Upgrading to 37"s

Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071

Why even worry about how good it is, if for $400 you can do the Red Neck Ram Assist from west Texas and stop the forces from ever going to the steering box, and also make the Jeep steer better with 37" tires than it did with stock 32" tires? Seems like at that point your spending money just to say you got a PSC part. Overpriced PSC part at that.

How many steering gear boxes have broken with a ram assist in front of them?

You have 2 choices in ram assist systems, PSC for $1200+ or West Texas Off Road for $400+. That is not that hard of a choice.
Or for like 200 do it yourself. Mine holding up on 41.5
Old 02-16-2017, 04:00 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why even worry about how good it is, if for $400 you can do the Red Neck Ram Assist from west Texas and stop the forces from ever going to the steering box, and also make the Jeep steer better with 37" tires than it did with stock 32" tires? Seems like at that point your spending money just to say you got a PSC part. Overpriced PSC part at that.

How many steering gear boxes have broken with a ram assist in front of them?

You have 2 choices in ram assist systems, PSC for $1200+ or West Texas Off Road for $400+. That is not that hard of a choice.

Hey Larry, for the WTO ram assist you're running, you think it's too powerful for a Synergy tie rod to handle? I'm currently on 37's and TR beadlocks.

Or if anyone else knows, feel free to chime in. Thx in advance....

I was considering the new box from PSC but I'm thinking WTO with a beefier tie rod...

Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly can't say because I use the Ruff stuff DIY 1-ton tie rod. I feel that if I put the left front tire on a pole and tried to turn the Jeep off of it sideways, the tie rod would fold. The Synergy may be a whole hell of a lot stronger though.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
Hey Larry, for the WTO ram assist you're running, you think it's too powerful for a Synergy tie rod to handle? I'm currently on 37's and TR beadlocks. Or if anyone else knows, feel free to chime in. Thx in advance.... I was considering the new box from PSC but I'm thinking WTO with a beefier tie rod... .
I'm running the WTO with Synergy tie rod, but I also have their misalignment boots on to. Holding up great....
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 PM
DJ1
Former Member

I honestly can't say because I use the Ruff stuff DIY 1-ton tie rod. I feel that if I put the left front tire on a pole and tried to turn the Jeep off of it sideways, the tie rod would fold. The Synergy may be a whole hell of a lot stronger though.
Sounds good..

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I'm running the WTO with Synergy tie rod, but I also have their misalignment boots on to. Holding up great....

Right on. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that the Synergy tie rod's were bending like butter with a ram. Maybe that was full hydro. Not sure. I guess I can keep my Synergy then. Thanks!

Last edited by DJ1; 02-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Sounds good..

Right on. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that the Synergy tie rod's were bending like butter with a ram. Maybe that was full hydro. Not sure. I guess I can keep my Synergy then. Thanks!

I think it's not so much bending as it is they flex (and then return to position) under pressure.

FWIW, I'm running synergy, WTO, and misalignment boots also.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jedg
I think it's not so much bending as it is they flex (and then return to position) under pressure.

Sweet. I really didn't want to have to shell out another $350-$450 for a beefier tie rod since I can say for certain that 37's is the largest I'll go.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sltimmins
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my 2012 Jeep JKU Sport to 37" tires and all the aftermarket parts that come with that upgrade, however, I am relatively new to the Jeep world (bought it about 8 months ago) and know very little about what parts to buy and where/who to buy them from. I currently have 285s and a 2.5" lift on my Jeep right now. I am planning on upping my suspension to Evo coilovers so the lift won't be a problem. I have read some other threads on this forum and it seems that most people are recommending new steering components, dana 44 front, brakes, ball joints, draglinks, tie rod, and regearing. Is there anything I am missing and what steering components should I get? Also recommended brands and where to buy are very much appreciated. I would also like to get front and rear lockers and a disconnecting sway bar. I plan on doing this over the next year-2 years. I have some experience but not a lot so please try to keep it semi-simple, I am very eager to learn everything I can though. Any help is very much appreciated. And any other parts you think I should upgrade would also greatly help.
Going to 37's is not just changing the tires and lift. it seems like once you go over 35's you will have to do many changes in order to compensate for the larger tires and weight that comes with them. Everything you mentioned is needed and it would be smart to focus on the axles and gears before worrying about the coilovers (unless you have a lot of money set aside). One pointer I will give you is that being apart of the process when it comes to building your jeep can be extremely helpful. One, you don't want to be that guy that has no clue what is going on under your jeep because you took a back seat when it was being built. Secondly, all the work that needs to be done is a great learning experience and an opportunity to learn more skills when it comes to jeeps.

I recommend going with 35's for now and build up the axles, driveline, gears, etc. Once that is done, you can easily slide on some 37's and not have to worry about breaking stuff.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jedg

Originally Posted by DJ1
Sweet. I really didn't want to have to shell out another $350-$450 for a beefier tie rod since I can say for certain that 37's is the largest I'll go.

Assuming you don't want to spend the extra $$ to upgrade a Synergy tie rod to a Fusion or similar, it looks like the other option is positioning the ram the opposite direction towards the knuckle....

Pic from JKO....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 12.22.20 PM.png
Views:	180
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	666907

Old 02-19-2017, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Same here! No problems at all!!

Quick Reply: Help Upgrading to 37"s