Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hemi swap, supercharged or direct injected?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi swap, supercharged or direct injected?

So, heres my story...

07 wrangler with 150 on the odometer, just replaced the tranny...im on 35's some weight, and love to go up to big bear but the lack of power is brutal!

So I went and bought a Sprintex supercharger for it...was going to install it then realized I have a 5.7 HEMI (2006 Magnum)engine in the warehouse...But I also thought about saying screw it and just buy a 12+ jeep with the pentastar, and rebuild that rig...

My question is...would you supercharge a weak 3.8 engine with 150k miles

rebuild a 5.7 HEMI and buy a 5k install kit

or sell my rig and buy a newer rig with the 3.6

any .02 would be awsome!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blowermax
So, heres my story... 07 wrangler with 150 on the odometer, just replaced the tranny...im on 35's some weight, and love to go up to big bear but the lack of power is brutal! So I went and bought a Sprintex supercharger for it...was going to install it then realized I have a 5.7 HEMI (2006 Magnum)engine in the warehouse...But I also thought about saying screw it and just buy a 12+ jeep with the pentastar, and rebuild that rig... My question is...would you supercharge a weak 3.8 engine with 150k miles rebuild a 5.7 HEMI and buy a 5k install kit or sell my rig and buy a newer rig with the 3.6 any .02 would be awsome!

well, I guess if you already own a 5.7 Magnum .......
If its sitting in a warehouse ... ..I,ll personally would be trying to fit that motor some where..
that,s a great reliable motor to work with...
good luck with whatever you choose ......
that,s just my personal opinion.....
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hemi swap with a supercharger! But in all seriousness. Hemi swap. You could try a supercharger first though til the motor craps out
Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darb24
Hemi swap with a supercharger! But in all seriousness. Hemi swap. You could try a supercharger first though til the motor craps out
I would do the V8 swap, can't beat the all around power. I like mine.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a very easy question when you put it properly. We have seen lots of guys pull supercharged 3.8 and N/A 3.6 out and drop in a Hemi.

Have never seen someone pull a Hemi and drop in a Supercharged 3.8 or N/A 3.6 though... Lol!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id ls swap over hemi all day every day.. Hell even diesel over hemi... If I was forced hemi i wouldnt get the little 5.7. Id sell the hemi and go ls. Probably could break even on motors
Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Biginboca
This is a very easy question when you put it properly. We have seen lots of guys pull supercharged 3.8 and N/A 3.6 out and drop in a Hemi.

Have never seen someone pull a Hemi and drop in a Supercharged 3.8 or N/A 3.6 though... Lol!
The hemi seems like the better option... How much modification do you need? I'm guessing a new trans for starters... Dana 60'? I know my 30 won't handle the power
Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Darb24
Hell ya brother! Lol but I'm pretty sure I'm blow it soon the kit is still brand new so I'm sure I can get a couple bucks for it
Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by danny767

well, I guess if you already own a 5.7 Magnum .......
If its sitting in a warehouse ... ..I,ll personally would be trying to fit that motor some where..
that,s a great reliable motor to work with...
good luck with whatever you choose ......
that,s just my personal opinion.....
?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d?dc4d
It is a very reliable engine... Haven't had a problem with it yet...the milage might even be better
Old 07-28-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

OK the hemi seems like the better option but what about the added power almost 200hp correct? I'm pretty sure my dana 30 will "break up" with me 😂... Would 44's hold up? How about the axles and drive shafts

Quick Reply: Hemi swap, supercharged or direct injected?