Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hemi swap, supercharged or direct injected?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how much you have sunk into your current JK in other mods.

If you have a sizable investment and everything else is in good working order, hemi is the way to go.

If you have a mild or light build and do alot of daily driving as an example, upgrading a new one might be worth it.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the $5k install kit for the Hemi, plus 20 hours labor, plus a transmission, plus drivetrain upgrades are a stretch on your budget and skills then:

Since you are in SoCal and they will be easier to find, buy a pair of used, already regeared Rubicon axles with 5.38 gears if you have an automatic, or 4.88 gears of you have a manual. They should run about $3,500 for the pair. The 3.8L produces enough horsepower for most jeepers on 35" tires if you gear the axles low enough to run about 2700-3000 rpm at freeway speeds.

If that isn't enough HP for your preferences, then buy a RIPP system. You can get them new for about $5k and sell them used for about $3.5k when you are done with your jeep. For a net cost of less than $2k and an easy weekend install, they are a great bang for the buck. If you get the high altitude pulley, it increases the power even more. With the right gearing, a RIPPd 3.8L puts out similar power to a stock 5.3L Vortec Chevy truck engine--adjusted for the difference in weight.

If you have the skills to do the Hemi swap yourself, then do that. You will want it upgrade several other drivetrain components. Depending on which transmission you run, you will want different than stock hearing in your diffs.

If you are going to modify and wheel the jeep much, don't buy a new one.

I have a Hemi JKUR and a RIPPd JKR, both on 60s and 40s. The Hemi and related tranny add about 500+ lbs net to the weight of the jeep. The Hemi is fun to drive, but that rig is a beast, very heavy, loud, and isn't economical. I really like it, but my RIPPd dr JK is much more civilized, practical, economical, lighter, etc.

Last edited by planman; 07-30-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blowermax
OK the hemi seems like the better option but what about the added power almost 200hp correct? I'm pretty sure my dana 30 will "break up" with me 😂... Would 44's hold up? How about the axles and drive shafts
44s would be fine with 35s and 1310 driveshafts.

Although it's true, if you add another 500+ lbs with another 200+HP, it is easier to break stuff.

Quick Reply: Hemi swap, supercharged or direct injected?