Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Clearance fenders - best fenderwell?

Old 11-28-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Clearance fenders - best fenderwell?

I'm considering a set of fender flares, and am very satisfied with the way the factory fenderwells keep water out of the engine bay and away from the factory airbox on my '14 JKR. Is there a particular manufacturer out there offering a product that works as well as stock in that regard? Stream crossings are not out of the ordinary where we're wheeling.

Also, I do a lot more trail riding and mud than rock crawling - I'd really like to have an extended flare to keep the thrown rocks and mud off of the mirrors. Has anyone found extended flares to be a hindrance in tight spots?

I need a recommendation on brand/style and width.

Last edited by stevewix; 11-28-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crawler conceptz has a nice set.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Even though I'm not nuts about the way they look, I went with Bushwacker's flat flares because at the time they did the best job I'd seen of retaining the factory wheelhouse liners. It's just not a good idea around here to run with the whelhouses unprotected, mag chloride, brine, etc. are prevalent even in summer out on local mountain trails. Since I got them Rugged Ridge came out with their Hurricane flares and a dedicated set of inner fender liners to match. Again, I'm not nuts about the way they look but the liner feature is attractive. Some of the other flares show you ways to modify and retain the stock front fender liners, but other than Xenon (trash) I haven't en any of them retain the rears. You could probably figure out a way to adapt them on your own. As for metal, Metalcloak and Crawler Conceptz have ones for the front.

Quick Reply: Hi Clearance fenders - best fenderwell?