Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrendous 3.8L Gas Mileage

Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXBeachJK

If I recall, it's as simple as programming tire height (been a while since I programmed mine as well). You should be able to measure your tire to input the exact height. Ex. 34.5 or 35.5 for 35s for size variance.
Ok thanks..... I usually check the speedometer after against my GPS to see how close I am.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly a couple of days ago here in New Zealand I received a letter from our government agency that deals with vehicle fuel economy. The letter was informing me that an incorrect fuel consumption figure was given to them by the Chrysler distributor (mines a 2009 I bought new) and it has now been updated. I have flicked an email off to the dealer to see if they had heard if Chrysler was going to recompense people for their extra fuel spend. Looks like Kia and Hyundai had to do this a while ago in the States. Will be interesting to see what the response is.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 2dr JK started losing power and dropping to single digit MPG's in the city at around 30,000 miles. I of course assumed the worst and thought I had one of the dreaded "bad" 2007 motors.

Dealership was no help at all, I know shocker.

Did some digging on my own and found a couple things that were slowly killing my engine.

1.) Bad PVC valve, oil had been blowing back into the upper intake for so long it was full of sludge and slime. Replaced valve removed intake and cleaned the snot out of it.
2.) Bad spark plug gaps. All 6 were out of spec from the factory. All 6 had too large of a gap and 2 were worn. I put in new E3's. Idle and low RPM driving improved instantly.
3.) Combustion chambers were full of carbon. Looked like chocolate cake in there. 2 full cans of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner split between all 6 cycliners did the trick.
Used a long funnel to direct it down the spark plug holes. Smokes like a Cheech and Chong movie during application so go to a buddies house in the country to do it.

Changed oil, filter and checked plugs again afterward. Chambers looked surprisingly clean.
Tip, take the fender liner out of the passenger wheel well, gives you a straight shot at the hard to reach back plugs. Had mine out 3x before I was done so it helped.

Within 1 tank my MPG went back up to 15 in the city and regained lost horsepower.

Hope this helps or at least gives you something to look for.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POBrien9
Hey guys, my 2008 3.8L is averaging 10.7 and sometimes worse. Every once a while it'll jump up to 12.Somethin on the interstate crusing at 60. I live in South FL where traffic is horrible but I don't see my MPG being this bad.. I'm running a 2.5 inch RC lift on 35 KM2s. Do you guys think there is a reason for these MPG? Thanks!
Bought the wife a 2007 JKU back in Oct 06. It is an X model with soft top, automatic x-mission and stock 4.10 gearing with the stock 245/75/16 tires. The only thing I did was to add an AEV front bumper, which added about 60 more pounds of weight. It currently has about 60K miles on it, with no modifications to the engine. Lancaster Pa is known for its hilly county roads. With that said she uses her JK as a daily driver, mostly for work and to drive the grand kids around, which again is mostly stop and go. In the summer months she normally averages around 14.5- 15 MPG on the streets. One the highway she gets about 16.5-18 MPG depending on the traffic. On trips to places like Ocean City MD. we average about 24-26 MPG. Currently she is averaging about 12.5-13 MPG. This is obviously due to the winter gas mixture and the very cold temperature of low teens to single digits, which makes her start the vehicle and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes in our driveway prior to driving. Do you think your 35" KM2's just might have something to do with it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

2007 unlimited auto and I am about 9-10 in town 11-13 highway. 37's on beadlocks, 5.38's, dynatracs, bumpers and all that heavy stuff.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LOST
My 07 2dr JK started losing power and dropping to single digit MPG's in the city at around 30,000 miles. I of course assumed the worst and thought I had one of the dreaded "bad" 2007 motors.

Dealership was no help at all, I know shocker.

Did some digging on my own and found a couple things that were slowly killing my engine.

1.) Bad PVC valve, oil had been blowing back into the upper intake for so long it was full of sludge and slime. Replaced valve removed intake and cleaned the snot out of it.
2.) Bad spark plug gaps. All 6 were out of spec from the factory. All 6 had too large of a gap and 2 were worn. I put in new E3's. Idle and low RPM driving improved instantly.
3.) Combustion chambers were full of carbon. Looked like chocolate cake in there. 2 full cans of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner split between all 6 cycliners did the trick.
Used a long funnel to direct it down the spark plug holes. Smokes like a Cheech and Chong movie during application so go to a buddies house in the country to do it.

Changed oil, filter and checked plugs again afterward. Chambers looked surprisingly clean.
Tip, take the fender liner out of the passenger wheel well, gives you a straight shot at the hard to reach back plugs. Had mine out 3x before I was done so it helped.

Within 1 tank my MPG went back up to 15 in the city and regained lost horsepower.

Hope this helps or at least gives you something to look for.
Hmm. 2007 Unlimited Auto w/4.10s and 126,000 miles and original PCV valve. Might be time to swap it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3465901840.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	535113
Old 03-04-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

My 2009 JKUX is getting 17-18mpg with 35" tires (Duratracs) and 5.13 gears. It's pretty light right now without a spare and I have a new front 75lbs bumper on order. Will be interesting to see how much it will affect my mileage.

I live at 6200ft elevation, and usually turn off my OD on the 2 lane roads up here in Tahoe. Also, my commute is about 20 miles RT on a 40mph road, which I'm sure helps.

I've been pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again for all the help. I'm going to look into it. Last Nite I noticed she was burning up a little oil... I'm going to run that check like you said
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

I get about 13-14 mpg highway on my 07 3.8 rubicon, w/ 35 inch trepadors and bumpers and skid. I get less than that doing city driving.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by POBrien9
Hey guys, my 2008 3.8L is averaging 10.7 and sometimes worse. Every once a while it'll jump up to 12.Somethin on the interstate crusing at 60. I live in South FL where traffic is horrible but I don't see my MPG being this bad.. I'm running a 2.5 inch RC lift on 35 KM2s. Do you guys think there is a reason for these MPG? Thanks!
I've got an '08 2dr X, Poison Spyder front and rear bumper, PS rocker knockers, 37's MT/R w/spare, 5.13's, Trail Dash( performance tune), K&N airfilter and i'm average about 14.5mpg with just over 50k on it. What gears are you running? Are you running a programmer? Let's us know what you do and if it fixed the problem. Good luck

rock

Quick Reply: Horrendous 3.8L Gas Mileage