Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you tell if the frame is bent?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tell if the frame is bent?

I have been trying to figure out a death wobble issue and noticed that one side sits hire than the other. Long story short I broke my axle housing on the right side so I have had to replace most everything. After measuring from the ground to a spot on the bumper it shows that the side I broke sit about an inch lower than the other. I checked my springs (which are new) to make sure they were seated correctly but no luck. Is the any other way to check if the frame is bent? If it is could that be the cause of the death wobble?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

The right side sets down lower than the left on almost all jeep JKs.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
By an entire inch? I also noticed that my sway bar sits about a 1/2 inch different up and down and the passenger side is about a 1/2 inch more towards the center. This is a rubicon by the way.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07RubiconTX
By an entire inch? I also noticed that my sway bar sits about a 1/2 inch different up and down and the passenger side is about a 1/2 inch more towards the center. This is a rubicon by the way.
This is all normal. go to a dealer and check ne ones and you will see similar stuff. modified jeeps more so. The sway bar can be shifted back and forth. I even have springs bowed different directions, and it looks weird, but all normal.

The only way to check a frame is to go to a body shop that has a frame machine. You will never be able to tell with a measuring tape.

Unless you were in a major accident or a roll over, you should not worry about a bent frame.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I'm glad I found this! I noticed a few months ago that my right side (front and rear) sits about 1/4" LOWER then the left/driver's side! I was a little concerned, but for what my Jeep has been through (although nothing like a rollover or a good "WHACK!") I didn't know if it was supposed to be like that or not.

Thanks for getting this information up! It's helped me out!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

I was in a off road mishap where i landed on that side. I figured it could have bent it as well. I never noticed it was leaning before all this. Also it is modded with bumpers winch 3'" teraflex lift, ect.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKStell
I'm glad I found this! I noticed a few months ago that my right side (front and rear) sits about 1/4" LOWER then the left/driver's side! I was a little concerned, but for what my Jeep has been through (although nothing like a rollover or a good "WHACK!") I didn't know if it was supposed to be like that or not.

Thanks for getting this information up! It's helped me out!
A 1/4 inch I can understand. An entire inch seems off to me.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of off-road mishap happened to you? I know you said you LANDED on that side...what happened? Sounds bad...or just NOT good, at the very least!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JK gangsta lean, mine wasn't as bad until I got in a wreck, got hit on the pass side rear qtr. Was only about 1/4in lean before, now it's 3/4in difference. I also had to change out the rear housing. Pretty sure the frame was tweaked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gangsta lean 002.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	105484

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

if you have adjustable front swaybar links. make one longer than the other. Usually you will have to adjust the right side longer than the left and the Jeep will become more level.

Quick Reply: How do you tell if the frame is bent?