Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get better street performance

Old 01-25-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get better street performance

I have a 14 JKUR. The relevant mods are 3.5 RK X-Factor lift with steering kit, 37” Nitto Trail Grapplers, 5.13 grears and a Fox steering stabilizer. In the 2.5 years I’ve owned it I’ve gotten out on the trails 3 time. Based on my current situation it could be even less frequent. My problem it’s way more trail ready than I need. Way less street ready than I’m comfortable with. I know my question is the opposite of what’s normally asked. I love my jeep don’t want to give it up but how do I make it more comfortable on the road. To be honest my son has a stock JK Willys and I don’t think that it’s any better them mine. In fact if anything it handles worse. What would everyone suggest to make it more comfortable and track better at higher speeds. I would still like to take it off road but it doesn’t even need to be as capable as a stock JKUR.

I’m assuming smaller tires but how small and brand/type. Should I just lower the suspension with new springs and keep everything else. Or should I just go get a Ram 4x4. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Steersmarts drag link and Griffin ... Trust me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2467864462.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	665417  
Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Also posting your current steering alignment specs would be pretty useful as well and outlining what you've done for caster correction after lifting if you've done any or not.

Understanding your point of reference for ride quality might be helpful as well. What are you comparing the ride quality to? After all, it is a Jeep with solid axles so there are some limitations on what can be expected from those solid axles.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Go back to 35's and 2.5"- it's still off-road friendly and a great daily driver. Big tires look good but the extra wear they put on everything and replacement cost is tough to swallow if they're not being used.

You should easily be able to find a young gun that's hot and heavy for a big jeep. Trade tires, coils, and a couple bucks then you can both be happy campers.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly if it is on the table, go check out an air suspension Ram 1500. Either the rebel package or one of the higher packages will have it. They run great on the street and still return respectable fuel economy with the 5.7L.

For tracking, you could try increasing your air pressure. Switching to a more road oriented tire wouldn't hurt either. The BFG KO2 does have a 37" size (apparently sizes close to 35" tires from Nitto and Toyo) and there are other new hybrid ATs like the Grabber x3 and the new Nitto Ridge Grappler that would definitely help out with the tracking issue.

Bracing your steering with the Synergy sector shaft brace and track bar brace with help out a lot. You should probably have done a drag link flip at that ride height as well.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Also posting your current steering alignment specs would be pretty useful as well and outlining what you've done for caster correction after lifting if you've done any or not.

Understanding your point of reference for ride quality might be helpful as well. What are you comparing the ride quality to? After all, it is a Jeep with solid axles so there are some limitations on what can be expected from those solid axles.
I did have it aligned*but that was*over 2 years ago. I'll have to dig up the print out.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Default Ride

Sounds like you have totally the wrong build... or the wrong Jeep. Maybe re-thinking all that was done for a re-do, or selling it as is will rectify the situation. Most of us do not have an issue with the ride and handling. Part of understanding a Wrangler
Old 01-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by angrysea
I did have it aligned*but that was*over 2 years ago. I'll have to dig up the print out.
Definitely dig that up. Alignment, the shops can only adjust toe where additional components are needed for caster and even if you have those additional components, most shops won't adjust the aftermarket components for you with a standard alignment unless you ask and they're willing to do it at additional costs.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by angrysea
I have a 14 JKUR. The relevant mods are 3.5 RK X-Factor lift with steering kit, 37” Nitto Trail Grapplers, 5.13 grears and a Fox steering stabilizer. In the 2.5 years I’ve owned it I’ve gotten out on the trails 3 time. Based on my current situation it could be even less frequent. My problem it’s way more trail ready than I need. Way less street ready than I’m comfortable with. I know my question is the opposite of what’s normally asked. I love my jeep don’t want to give it up but how do I make it more comfortable on the road. To be honest my son has a stock JK Willys and I don’t think that it’s any better them mine. In fact if anything it handles worse. What would everyone suggest to make it more comfortable and track better at higher speeds. I would still like to take it off road but it doesn’t even need to be as capable as a stock JKUR.

I’m assuming smaller tires but how small and brand/type. Should I just lower the suspension with new springs and keep everything else. Or should I just go get a Ram 4x4. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The part about your son's Jeep might be an expectations issue. A new stock JK is probably the best one can expect from a JK, it's the baseline most will compare their own ride too. If your son's is a two-door, that might be part of it -- The longer wheelbase of yours feels more stable.

As much as I'd like to think mine handles better than stock on the pavement, it almost certainly doesn't because the C of G is 2+ inches higher, it weighs more, etc. It's kind of refreshing that the "placebo effect" isn't strong with you either.

Anyway, If it were me I'd think about getting the lift down to 2" (or less), stock bump-stops, and a slightly longer shock like the OME. And since it has 5.13 gears -- Use the lightest 35" tires with an A/T tread pattern, flat fenders, and wheels with the nearest to stock offset possible. And I think the stock track-bar flexes enough to notice better handling with a stiffer one like the Terraflex version.

But before anything, I'd inspect the hell out of it and look for anything out-of-spec loose in ball joints, steering links, track bar and brackets, etc.

TheDirtMan has a writeup on lifts that is worth searching for, and there's writeups and videos on JK suspension and steering checks (often aimed at curing death wobble).

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

A 35" AT tire and drop the lift down to the 2" range would gain you both performance and handling. At highway you would be turing some high Rpm's with 5.13 gears though.
Without actually seeing how your jeep is set up it makes it tough to look for any issues you may have.

Quick Reply: How to get better street performance