Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install a kill switch in a 2012 or newer?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDriller
I'm torn if I should kill the fuel pump or just stick to the starter on a Automatic.

If everything fails and it's just the starter it won't start, but If it's the fuel pump it could die while moving which could be a bad day. I was thinking about using a latch relay set up for the fuel pump to prevent failure if the signal is lost, but I'm a wiring amateur and not sure if this is the best route for reliable fuel pump power.
I wouldn't worry about it if you build in your override. Whatever oem circuit you cut into and attach to pin 30 and 87, can easily be overrode by using a dual tab on the 87 pin at the back of the relay. When I needed service, I would just unplug the wire on pin 30 and plug it into the second tab on pin 87 along with the wire that was already on pin 87, completing the connection back to stock. Here's a pic of the dual tab I used.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	191897d1264275536-worlds-best-diy-immobiliser-diy-immobiliser-044-small.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	599192  
Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jchappies
One Word
RAVELCO
I have a similar 8 pin system in my truck.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
The problem with killing the battery is that you kill the alarm also...
Could run it to the starter motor or fuel pump.....
Old 03-01-2015, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeep305
Unfortunately, in the last 2 months I've had two friends loose their jeeps because a duplicate was made from a dealer. The chip is great if their not using a copy. All they do is take a pic of your Vin and bam, one phone call and a key is made for your ride. I rather add a kill switch and not a battery disruption under the hood. I rather be able to flip a switch instead of un latching my hood in snow to start my car.

Crush '12 JK 2 door, 3.5 metal cloak, FOX, 5.13, and roll'in 37's.... killin it in WV mountains!

I'm surprised that a dealer would cut a key for it. I'm in the bodyshop business and over the years when I needed a new key, I had to always show the driver's license and registration for the vehicle before they'd order me a key.

If Jeeps are being stolen with identical keys, the cops should be following up at local dealerships to see if anyone has had one made. Now that I think about it, you'd almost think manufacturers would would have their computers linked for keys made.

Mark
Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I wouldn't worry about it if you build in your override. Whatever oem circuit you cut into and attach to pin 30 and 87, can easily be overrode by using a dual tab on the 87 pin at the back of the relay. When I needed service, I would just unplug the wire on pin 30 and plug it into the second tab on pin 87 along with the wire that was already on pin 87, completing the connection back to stock. Here's a pic of the dual tab I used.
Great info, my concern was loss of fuel on the interstate or in a spot where you need to keep moving or else you risk life. Worse case scenario stuff where you wouldn't have time to manually rewire the relay.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Splice into the distro cap and run the switch on the floot by the rear of your drivers seat left hand side. Wire nuts optional

Quick Reply: How to install a kill switch in a 2012 or newer?