Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back! Need some serious advice and second opinion.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I'm back! Need some serious advice and second opinion.

The last Jeep I owned (first car 20 years ago) was a 1988 Sahara and that thing ended up in a ditch after I rolled it 3 times on the highway.

I now have 3 kids and I'm looking for a 2nd family vehicle as a DD, haul the diatribe, summer fun with the family, 8:00pm hockey runs across the city, and I would like to get into wheeling with my son.

I ordered a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited and I'm posting here to get opinions on what I have been recommended to purchase from J@st J@@ps. (not sure if there are vender rules here)

Toronto (area) is home for us so this JK will see the highway frequently.

With all that being said, I'm looking for a suspension lift, wheels, bumper's, etc. and the good thing is... I have been researching for weeks so I have a great idea of what I am looking for.

Here's what I know is true:

1) I will likely be wheeling on my own for most of the time so serious rock crawling will be out of the picture.
2) Wheeling will likely be in the lower-mid range difficulty but I plan on getting dirty and often.
3) HWY handling is important but I am willing to sacrifice drivability for aesthetics.
4) I don't need a Rubicon but it's affordable and I like the way it's equipped.
5) I have gone through 5 vehicle in 7 years but this one will last a while because it will eventually move from a second dd to a toy in a couple years.

What I want: 37" wheels with 4.5" lift

What I will likely get: 35" wheels with 3.5" lift

I spoke with JJ about what I am looking for and asked about the 3.5" AEV Dual Sport lift. The sales person agreed and said that's the lift I should get. I was surprised by his response but on second thought, I didn't expect him to say... "you don't need that, all you need is __________" . I have read similar posts like mine where members have recommended alternative like the Rancho 4" route with 9000 shocks. Or other people suggesting to go 2" suspension and 1" body lift. Everyone has their opinion and my head is spinning from all the posts on this same topic.

For me it's not really about the cost it's more about the value. I would spend an extra $2500 in parts to get exactly what I want but if it's just going to fall apart in 25,000km.

I'm budgeting about 13k to get this Jeep to where I want it to be and I would like to spend that money wisely.

Plans:
Wheels/tires
Lift
Front/Rear Bumper
Tire carrier
Winch
JW Lights
½ tube doors
second set of mirrors
flat fenders
cat-back exhaust
spiderweb shade

I have been waiting a very long time to get back into the sport and I look forward to a new home here at JK.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and sharing your opinions.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by frontside720

Plans:
Wheels/tires
Lift
Front/Rear Bumper
Tire carrier
Winch
JW Lights
½ tube doors
second set of mirrors
flat fenders
cat-back exhaust
spiderweb shade

I have been waiting a very long time to get back into the sport and I look forward to a new home here at JK.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and sharing your opinions.
Welcome back and welcome to the forum. There's a very informative sticky here that may help you with some of your questions:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

You'll hear a thousand opinions on lifts and here's mine!
-2-2.5" Suspension lift with flat fenders is good with 35's. As far as the manufacturer, I like Rock Krawler's products and suggest them most but run Synergy Manufacturing personally.
-The front and rear bumper: Dig around till you find one you like and then look up some reviews (the more recent the better) and make your choice
-Tire Carrier: Don't cheap out. Some people have luck with the cheaper ones and some don't. I went cheap and it's held up okay but I'm ready to get a really quality one made (or make it myself)
-Winch: (my opinion) Warn and Superwinch. Warn is faster and has life time warranty, superwinch is much less expensive and quality made but pulls slower
-JW Speakers: Good lights? I don't think anyone will argue that.
-1/2 Doors: Once again, doubt anyone will tell you why you shouldn't run them
-Spiderweb shade: I love mine, you will too.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

3) HWY handling is important but I am willing to sacrifice drivability for aesthetics.
I really hope that was mistyped. Wife and 3 kids, and looks are more important than safe drive-ability?

Why are you so worried about immediately throwing money at it? It's been 20 years since you last had a jeep. Go drive it. See what it can do stock. (a bone stock rubicon? Quite a lot...)

Then open and read the thread mentioned above. Get a handle on what specific problems lifting causes, and what components are used to correct those problems. Then you can start comparing, and you will have a better idea of why people are recommending the lifts they are, or why they are telling you to stay away from certain components. I hope that makes more sense than "I went with xxx-brand lift because some guy told me to..." (by the way, that was definitely not a dig on the aev lift that was recommended, a whole lot of people like them. Just a suggestion to figure out why people do or do not like whatever)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Why are you so worried about immediately throwing money at it? It's been 20 years since you last had a jeep. Go drive it. See what it can
Totally agree but have up trying to convince people of this. "BIG TARS!"
Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by frontside720
I ordered a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited and I'm posting here to get opinions on what I have been recommended to purchase.
You ordered the 4.10 gears correct? If not, that'll be a $2000 mistake.

You plan looks like you're moving in the right direction, but again I'd research a bit more.

You're missing the most important accessory; ARMOR!
-FCA Skids
-RCA Skids
-C Gussets
-Axle Sleeves/Truss
-HD Ball Joints (factory are plastic)
-Undercarriage Protection Skids
-HD Differential Covers
-HD Rock Rails (factory are only good for looks)

Once all ^this^ is completed, then start your build. You can't build a house without a strong foundation

Last edited by Tripletsi; 03-04-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

I'd drive it around for awhile. The difference between this jeep and your old jeep in stock trim are light yrs apart. You may find for what you want to the stock JKUR is just fine.

Before going all out AEV check out the other lifts, Teraflex, Rock Krawler and so on. Bilstein 5100's are good shocks for on and off road and won't break the bank. Either teraflex 4" or rock krawler 3.5" with the bilsteins and 35" tires will give you an excellent ride on and off road. As for the rest of it, you will want to dig around on the sites, Rockhard, Poison Spyder and so on to figure out what appeals to you.

Some things you didn't mention:

Skids- gonna crawl, you will want these
Regear- New motor is great but you may want to consider regearing with 35's and especially with 37's. Someone with the new motor can recommend a good gear change/set for ya.
CB radio
Hi Lift

But mostly, just get out there and wheel it. Might find you are just fine with what you have mind.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

I don't normally comment on alot of topics, but I'll chime in...

We are in the same geography (Buffalo, Ny here), and are looking at doing similar builds, and I also drive on the highway alot (80 miles a day round trip to work), and haul my wife and son around in it regularly.

I have a 2014 JKUR, and have been doing a similar build, ace engineering front bumper, superwinch 9500, 3.5" Clayton's lift with Bilstein shocks and braided brake lines, and I recently just bought new wheels and tires.

The tires portion on my build has been the biggest pain since we get all kinds of weather, over 200" of snow this year where I live (Ski Country south of Buffalo) so buying the right tire is very important.

Things I considered were tread life, since I drive alot (my jeep is a year old and has 21k miles), mud traction, snow traction, side wall strength, and tire weight rating.

I mention tire weight rating, due to not wanting a "E" rated tire, for my jeep a "D" rated or 8 ply tire is plenty. After doing alot of research, I ended up with 315/70/17 Cooper STT tires which are a 35" tire in a "D" rating. Honestly if your not going to get into rocks, I would go Duratracs for the weather we have since they are actually snow rated and have a decent look.

So where am I going, It appears that your making some good decisions, so continue to research what you think you want, and make sure it best suits your end goal..And of couurse to be afraid to ask questions or search...

I may be attending a ride up your way soon, check out trailfest.ca
Old 03-04-2015, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to give Jim at rockspyder4x4 a call. He is a serious jeep builder and builds custom rigs as well as mild ones. He'll know how to setup the jeep for you. I don't use Just Jeeps as they are a bolt-on shop and pretty much sell shitty pro-comp and rugged ridge components.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Former Member

You rolled a jeep and now you want to take your kids in one for some off-roadin? Oh my!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the wheeling you describe you would be better off leaving it stock or at the most adding a puck level kit and addressing the weak points with armor. I would look at LCA skids, relocate the steering stabilizer, oil pan armor, and C-gussets and then wheel it.

Quick Reply: I'm back! Need some serious advice and second opinion.